Saturday, September 7, 2019

YouTube TV

An extensive and exhausting conversation in our house over the last 13 years has been about DirecTV.  In college, a bunch of roommates and myself went all in on the most expensive television programming package, including all of the movie channels, NFL Sunday Ticket and other add-ons including a cartoon station that ran a Tom and Jerry marathon.  College students always do strange things.  Don't judge.  I have been a devoted customer ever since.

Despite the outrageous cost, I chose DirecTV because of the live sports options.  A REAL sports fan doesn't record or DVR sports.  End of discussion.  I'm committed to watching the Packers live and will NEVER choose to watch them in delayed fashion.  I wouldn't be able to pull that off anyways as I follow along on Twitter and other social media outlets.  I also enjoy watching many other sports and they need be viewed in real time.  The Packers are available on network television most of the time, so a big TV package isn't necessary for that alone.  Add to that FSN, BTN, ESPN, NFL Network and others and there haven't been many options.

Well, I'm happy to say that as of this week I'm no longer a DirecTV customer and I'm a satisfied sports fan.  I welcomed the NFL Sunday Ticket into my home in 1999 and this football season I'm not entertaining that option (I can borrow my brothers on the app).  The streaming options had been toying with sports, but have balked at the regularly scheduled live options, but MLB forced me to watch YouTube this year when it was the only option for a Twins-Brewers game.  And it worked...on my computer.  I did a little research and with help from a neighbor, I understood that YouTube TV gave me everything that I desired in DirecTV for almost $100 less per month.  Yes, that's two zeros...$100.  I just needed a Smart TV or a Roku so I didn't have to plug into my phone or iPad.

I had to take down our dish to complete an addition on our house and to put it back on the roof was going to require a two-week wait on a technician.  So, the timing was right to try the YouTube TV 5-day trial because I didn't want to miss any Twins games.  They're in the hunt right now.

This week I watched the Packers live on my TV (the Bears still suck), caught some college football and watched a lot of baseball.  All in real time on my TV through our Roku.  We also get to watch our favorite TV shows.  The only downside is the guide and navigating has been a bit of a learning curve and I've concluded it's not going to be as easy as DirecTV.  However, I can watch "cable tv" anywhere, including on my phone.  That's both good and bad.  I did pull up the Twins game to watch a bases loaded at bat when we were on a family walk tonight.  That was cool.  I just hope I'm not distracted by that possibility everywhere I go.  But I can say I don't mind being able to watch House Hunters while waiting to pick-up the boys.  I can also add other family members to my account, so my in-laws get cable for the first time in over 30 years.

So far, so good.  I've been very skeptical of the online TV stuff because it's missed on some important factors (for me).  Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc. are fun and we've watched plenty of shows with those subscriptions.  Those alone couldn't meet the demands of sports fan, though.  I think YouTube TV finally bridged the gap.  And our checking account is very pleased (so is my wife!).

1 comment:



  1. ­Y­o­u­ ­c­a­n­ ­w­a­t­c­h­ ­N­F­L­ ­L­i­ve­ ­O­n­l­i­n­e­ ­o­n­ " ­ N F L H D G A M E .C O M " ­i­t­ ­i­s­ ­t­h­e­ ­b­e­s­t­ ­w­a­y­ ­t­o­ ­wa­t­c­h­ ­N­FL­ ­L­i­v­e­ ­S­t­r­e­a­ms­ ­i­n­ ­H­D­ . ­i­f­­y­o­u­ ­w­a­n­t­ ­w­a­t­c­h­ ­g­o­o­d­ ­q­u­a­l­i­t­y­,

    Free TRIAL Here => NFLHDGAME.COM

    NFL HD GAME . COM
    N F L H D G A M E . C O M
    N F L H D G A M E
    NFLHDGAME
    NFL HD GAME
    nflhdgame. com
    nfl hd game . com
    n f l hd g a m e . com
    nflhdgame
    nfl hd game
    n f l h d g a m e






    ReplyDelete