Thursday, September 12, 2019

Beginner's Pluck

For the last several years, a staple in my growth has been the Global Leadership Summit.  It takes place every August and gathers leaders from all over the world that focus on becoming better.  I've attended a satellite location in the Twin Cities and use it conclude my summer and jump start the next year.  I gather my reading list and find incredible leaders to follow through blogs, podcasts and other outlets.

Liz Bohannon is the co-founder and owner of Sseko Design and a rising star in the leadership world.  Her indelible talk at the GLS this year impacted many.  Instead of a mic drop, she literally flew off the stage while borrowing a quote from the movie Mighty Ducks to conclude her talk.  It was awesome.  She was quite spirited and determined, which is the definition of the word she based her book on: Beginner's Pluck.

Bohannon released the book at the Summit, so I purchased two copies and have made the recommendation to several people.  Unfortunately, the book is not officially available until October 1st, but you can pre-order it on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.  And I recommend that you do right away.  Believe it or not, she's actually passing through Minneapolis on her book tour (October 23).

I took a few pages of notes during her talk and have re-watched it a few times on the GLS app.  It's that good.  Here is a fancy sketch of some key points from the GLS website:


What resonated most with me personally was the idea that people don't you to be their hero; they need you to help them to be the hero in their own story.

I'd enjoy hearing from others their thoughts on Beginner's Pluck and the work that Liz Bohannon is doing.  She's a difference maker, that's for sure.


*Pluck (n.) - spirited and determined courage.

No comments:

Post a Comment