Thursday, September 1, 2011

Fantasy Football (or Fellowship Football)

"You're really into it this year." These are the words of my wonderful and supporting wife as I explain to her that I will be going to Keith's house for our Fantasy Football draft later today. This, of course, coming from the same individual who, for the first time in her life, sleep walked last night. When I asked her what she was doing, she said she was drafting players. So, who's really into it this year? Liz has been dreaming about this day. And it's finally here.

To be upfront, I'm actually no more into it this year than I was last year. The difference with this season is it's the second season with the same group of men. We now have a history and our league has an identity. This makes it much more exciting. As I promised last year, I drafted as many Packers as I could and started out 5-0. I was feeling good about myself then God humbled me. I played a different pastor in three consecutive games (6, 7 and 8) and God obviously had favor over his flock and I fell to 5-3. I set myself up for it by calling my team the Grasshoppers ("It is He who sits above the circle of the earth and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers." - Isaiah 40:22). Before I knew it, I was at .500 and watched my fellow Packers fan sneak into the playoffs on a tie breaker and win the entire league. I could almost hear God mocking me by reciting Pedro Cerano from Major League: "Look at the scoreboard now, Grasshopper!"

This year we have a trophy, so there is a $5 buy-in. It's probably not as good as 'The Sheva' from The League, but it's a trophy, nonetheless. I didn't want my fantasy football experience to be about money, instead, I do it for good, fun Christian fellowship. It's true. I do. I'm extremely competitive, but I'm in it for the friends (isn't that what everyone who doesn't win say?). Men need fantasy football because they need community, fellowship and friendship. I'm manly enough to admit this and ESPN, the NFL and many other corporations are smart enough to exploit it.

We're in a keeper league and I got to keep Aaron Rodgers and Roddy White. Without Rodgers, I'd be completely uninterested and probably wouldn't even update my weekly roster. My brother spent some quality time with White at the Olympic Training Center this summer and is working on a marketing campaign that includes former wrestlers like him. I also traded up to assure that I could pick-up Jermichael Finley (Packers tight end). I think I'll have a good team of Packers once again. I will be drafting with my heart, not with my head. I'm a complete homer. Ryan drafts with his head, not his heart. Oh, and by the way, he's the reigning champion.

If you're interested in my commentary on last year's draft, see Does Fantasy Football Really Matter? from August 28, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment