Saturday, September 3, 2011

PROM

I just watched "Prom" and I loved it! It's the most recent DVD release by Disney. I exceedingly enjoy teenage drama flicks from the John Hughes days with the Brat Pack to the recreation of Shakespeare with "10 Things I Hate About You" and even "Mean Girls" or "Easy A." I love them all. I give each new one a try in hopes of one of them making me feel the same things I do when I watch Lloyd Dabler in "Say Anything." So, of course I was excited to rent "Prom."

I'm not interested in writing a review of the movie (if you're interested, it's worth the rent). Instead, I want to share what it is that I like about prom because that's the type of impact the movie had on me.

I loved my junior prom at River Falls High School. It is one of my most memorable moments. So, as a student teacher at Waunakee High School, I jumped at the opportunity to chaperone prom. Of course, I reveled in the opportunity to dress up and take my new bride out for a fancy date, however, I was most interested in being a part of something special in the lives of my students. It was wonderful. Prom provides a place where everyone can "shine." Each individual gets his/her share of the spotlight and moment of recognition. As a teacher, I saw extreme value in this. I believe educators should be seeking for ways to set-up everyone for success. Too often, students, athletes and individuals are set-up to fail...and they do. Sometimes, it's expected. I felt prom was a time for me to see my students in a different light and in an entirely new perspective. It was 7 years ago and I still recall how many of them glowed. Everyone goes to prom and does their best to represent the best of themselves. I like that.

Prom is a microcosm representative of that little boy or girl inside each of us that wants to shine and stand out. We all want to step out of our shell and be someone and do something great. Prom is the only place where everyone wins and everyone gets to experience that euphoric moment of standing on top of the mountain, publicly recognized and praised. It's a time to show the world an expression of who you are. Prom is some teenagers only chance to do this and that's important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment