Monday, September 26, 2011

MMQB: First Edition

A Monday Morning Quarterback (MMQB) - A person who criticizes or passes judgement with benefit of hindsight.

Every Monday morning I try to wrap my mind around the wealth of knowledge that I acquired while watching football from my couch. I end up spending most of the day sending text messages and e-mails to my friends about what transpired on the gridiron. A lot of the ideas that I take away from a weekend of football have the potential to be useful in the lives of those who read this blog. So, without further ado, I announce to you my own version of Monday Morning Quarterback. This could be interesting...

Week 3 is complete, with the exception of tonight's Monday Night Football game, and there have been some interesting surprises (Buffalo Bills) as well as a few things that were expected (Packers 3-0, Vikings 0-3).

Off the top of my head, here's what I saw:

* The Packers are really, really good. I'm extremely bias and will never attempt to hide that fact. Actually, I'm proud to bleed green and gold. Still, they're really good. They have yet to play a "complete" game and have dominated the NFL. The scary thing is Aaron Rodgers is going to get better, which seems unbelievable, and their defense will start to figure things out, too.

* The Buffalo Bills will be in every game they play this year. I'm not ready to say they're the best team in the AFC. Even after beating the Patriots, I still think New England has a better team. Chan Gailey and Dave Wannsteadt work extremely well together and have taken teams to the playoffs together more than once (most recently the Miami Dolphins). Watch out for these guys. As long as Fitzpatrick is at the helm, they're dangerous. Especially because he's starting to develop a few legitimate weapons and seems to make everyone else on the offense better. This should be expected from a Harvard grad.

* The Vikings are really, really ugly. I already said it, I'm bias, but that really has nothing to do with my assessment of this team. Granted, Jared Allen had a great game for the first since my 3-year old son was born, but the rest of the team stinks. I wonder if any team in NFL history has given up halftime leads of 10 or more points three times in one season. Well, the Vikes have done it in the first three game to open their season (11, 17 and 20 point leads). I don't know what's going to happen next, but this organization is a complete zoo. It has been for years. I don't think they have the capacity to recover from this and I'm not about to lose any sleep over it, either.

* The Lions aren't quite "there" yet. Sure, they're 3-0 for the first time since 1980 and that's commendable. I do like them and want to see them succeed, but after watching them yesterday, I'm not sold on them. I don't think they have "arrived." Yet. They will be good this year and maybe even make the playoffs (check their schedule and look at their final six games, though...0-6?). Something about Matthew Stafford rubs me the wrong way, but I love Ndamukong Suh. I wouldn't mind naming my next son Ndamukong. Why haven't they marketed this guy's name more? Seriously, KONG. It's who he is.

* The Eagles are America's team. It's true. They spend too much money on things that produce very little to no results and blame everyone else for their problems. Sounds like America to me. Well, at least our government. I do believe in Andy Reid and, at 1-2, they're not done by any means, however, I don't believe in Mike Kafka. That's his name, right?

* The Oakland Raiders are going to win the AFC West. You can quote me on this and when it happens, I'm going to claim that I was the first one who said it. They're better than the Chargers and Denver and KC are horrible. I like what the Raiders have going on and hardly anyone knows about them. Darren McFadden is the best running back in the NFL. I feel bad for Nnamdi Asomugha.

* By the time this season is over, there are going to be some ridiculous statistics on the leader board. They could legitimately approach Madden-esque numbers. Tom Brady is on pace to throw for 7,077 yards and 59 touchdowns (I think he'll only end up with 5,500-45). Darren McFadden is on pace for 2,100 yards rushing and I think he can break 2,000, seriously (who knew?), but what's funny is Wes Welker is on pace for 165 receptions and 2,440 yards receiving. He's half way to 1,000 with 13 games left. Ho-hum. Oh, and by the way, Chris Johnson is on the dark side. He thought he was bigger than his team and he's getting what he deserved. I knew better than to pick him or Arian Foster in my fantasy leagues (I did pick Steven Jackson, though...he'll be back and will be solid).

* After week 3, the best players in the NFL are as follows: 1. Aaron Rodgers, 2. Tom Brady, 3. Clay Matthews, 4. Calvin Johnson, 5. Darren McFadden, 6. Drew Brees, 7. DeMarcus Ware, 8. LeSean McCoy, 9. Ryan Fitzpatrick, 10. Jason Pierre-Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment