Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Let's remember history

I graduated in 2003 from the University of Wisconsin with a Bachelor of Arts in History. I guess this means I'm a real "historian." However, I really didn't develop a deep sense of appreciation for history until I was already done with my studies. I always enjoyed historical facts, but I'm becoming increasingly more aware of historical lessons. Many great and not-so-great moments in history reveal important trends and principles that should not be ignored. We would do well to remember history.

Okay, I'll get to my point here this morning and I'll keep all of the political jargon out of this blog because I'm sure that's where you thought it was going. Right now, I'm talking about "Sports Entertainment," also known as professional wrestling/WWE/All-Star wrestling. Seriously, stay with me on this one though because there is a specific point I want to make.

Last night I watched WWE's 50 Greatest Superstars of All Time and woke up this morning with a very unsettled feeling because our culture and society completely disregard history and the impact it has had on today. The host of the program said it would be a controversial list and he was correct. Hulk Hogan #23? Seriously? 23? Ridiculous. In exactly what universe does Hulk Hogan rank as the 23rd-greatest superstar in WWE history? Apparently, it's the same universe in which Rey Mysterio is in the top 10. Even Edge was ranked ahead of Hulk Hogan. Unacceptable. Consider this quote from Hogan: "God created the heavens and the earth. Then He created us. Then He created these 24-inch pythons!" Sounds about right to me. I would put him at #1, but could see legitimate claims for others, but he is definitely greater than Jerry "The King" Lawler.

In all seriousness, though, here's what I discovered: as a culture, we have absolutely no appreciation for the things that happened before the technological boom. Things before cable television, the internet and social media aren't even on our radar anymore (Hulk Hogan helped make cable television popular, by the way). If it hasn't been discussed on a forum it's irrelevant. If people haven't made a Google Image of you their profile picture, you miss out on being included in the category of "great." If you're not self-gloating and promoting your accomplishments, apparently, they never happened.

I see this in the confined [amateur] wrestling world all too often. People don't understand that wrestling has been around since the time Jacob wrestled the angel (Genesis 32). This story embodied the mental and physical toughness that young wrestlers only dream about. Yet, still they dare to think they've crossed into uncharted territories in the categories of commitment, dedication and work ethic. Jacob wrestled the true "grind match" and wrestled through serious injuries and fatigue. Read the story. Just in case you weren't aware, wrestling wasn't invented when your son decided to be a part of it.

There is a long and storied history that went before you and if you choose to recognize it, you have the privilege to be connected to the all time greats that went before you. In wrestling and in life. Please, let's remember history.

No comments:

Post a Comment