Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Sharpening the ax

I was on my computer last night and a warning popped up that told me the battery was critically low and needed to be charged. It flashed a picture with a meter that showed there was only 7% of the battery life left. I knew I needed to recharge the battery, but didn't feel pressure to do so immediately because I was able to forecast how long 7% would last.

I do the same thing with my gas tank. The warning light comes on to warn you to get gas. The car will still function properly for a short while, but I know I must refuel.

Don't you wish you had a low fuel or recharge the battery light on your life sometimes? Not just the warning light, but a gauge that showed you exactly how much power you had left? Too many people operate on critically low and don't take the necessary time to properly recharge or refuel.

"Burnout" is a common term in the sports world. There are a variety of reasons people burn out and it's not unique to sports. The biggest reason people burn out is because they don't recognize the importance of recharging their batteries. They run on low and believe pushing through it is what makes a true champion. Wrong. No doubt, overcoming adversity and pushing through difficult times is essential, but so is refueling. I use the term "sharpening the ax."

The idea of sharpening the ax comes from Ecclesiastes 10:10. It says that when an ax is dull, much more strength and skill is required. If the proper time is taken to sharpen the ax, the work can actually get done sooner. Somehow, we view that time away from chopping the tree as unproductive, however, when you return to the tree with an ax that is sharp, you become much more effective. Basically, Solomon says, "work smarter, not harder."

To sharpen the ax, I take time away from the pressures and stress of life to simply reflect and clear my mind. I enjoy mountain biking, watching movies, shopping, writing, etc. I love spending time with my family, but to give them everything they deserve, I need time to myself recharging. You do, too. Everyone does.

Using a dull ax requires great strength, so sharpen the blade. That's the value of wisdom; it helps you succeed. - Ecclesiastes 10:10 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment