Friday, August 5, 2011

Once a Wildcat, always a Wildcat

The Wildcat Hall of Fame Induction and Banquet was a tremendous event. I am humbled to be included in the inaugural class and to have been honored in such a way last Friday night. It didn’t seem right to be on this most excellent list alongside some of my heroes, mentors and “godfathers” of River Falls athletics.

As a young and aspiring Wildcat, I looked up to these individuals and had a tremendous amount of respect for each of them. My dad often told me stories of their accolades and many of these men and women were legends in our household. I desperately wanted to walk in the footsteps of their success because I knew of their athletic achievements, but I also knew of their individual character. In a world of professional sports entertainment, high school athletics provides children with role models who are tangible. I wanted to be a Wildcat more than anything because I knew the individuals in the blue and gold.

Kirby Symes is one of the all-time great ambassadors to the sport I chose and the wrestling community will forever be grateful for his service, however, I participated in opportunities created by Mrs. Timmermann before I did in those created by Kirby. I adored Mrs. T and was the only boy in her tumbling class in kindergarten and 1st grade. Isn’t it wonderful that Mrs. T broke through gender barriers and become a positive influence to even a boy like me? She is still an encouragement to me. In her acceptance speech, she referred to the fact that RFHS accepted women as coaches far before the law required it. I identify with that sentiment today as a coach of female wrestlers. She had an impact on many people. Can you imagine how many newspaper articles one would have to cut out of the River Falls Journal for every story that she directly or indirectly influenced. I hope she cut out the picture on the front page of the sports section from last week and wrote those enduring words, “Good job, Mrs. T” and sent a copy to herself.

I have so many more wonderful memories that include this group of individuals. Paul Wehking was the first “superstar” I ever met. He was bigger than life to me as a 5 year old wrestling fan. Next to my dad, Pauly Cudd has demonstrated what it means to love his family (and sports) more than any other man I know. DeWayne Bennedict is River Falls wrestling. Of course, others have played a large role in the storied program, but I doubt there’s anyone who has been there for all of it like he has. My brother and I used to go to church on Christmas Day and hoped Steve Farley and his brothers were there just so we could shake their hands. Steve’s dad taught my rowdy Sunday school class and we loved hearing stories about Steve’s pitching career. Whether it was raking Mr. Hanson’s yard or having our floor hockey games in the hallway halted by Mr. Wunrow after a home wrestling match, River Falls athletics has always been like a giant extended family of mine.

In 1998, I was fortunate enough to achieve some very lofty goals. I may have been the kid getting my hand raised on the mat, but I knew then, and know even more know, that there were hundreds of Wildcats who won that night. The support from my family, school and community was unprecedented. In fact, Karyn Bye called my house on the Monday before the state tournament that year to wish me luck and to let me know that my community had my back. She had much more important things on her mind that week, like winning an Olympic Gold Medal in Nagano, Japan, and she still took the time to offer me her support. She remembered her roots and so do I. Once a Wildcat, always a Wildcat.

No comments:

Post a Comment