Tuesday, August 9, 2011

I voted...again

For some reason it seems like I've been to the polls an awful lot this year. It seems that way because it's true. In the past 9 months, I've voted 5 times. My kids love the "I Voted" stickers, but even those are wearing out their welcome.

Today is the recall election for the 10th Senate District in Wisconsin (as well as five other Senate Districts). It's been very overwhelming and, at times, quite disappointing leading up to this day. I already voted today and thought it was appropriate to shed a little light on what is taking place.

Members of this voting district collected enough signatures to recall Senator Shelia Harsdorf. The spring months were flooded with signs and individuals parked on the street, waving American flags and holding a clipboard, asking people to sign their name so Harsdorf could be voted out of office. Most of the individuals who signed call it accountability.

Before time expired, a Republican threw his name in the hat, got the signatures required and we had a recall primary between Shelly Moore and Isaac Weix on July 12th. Wisconsin has an open primary system so any registered voter can vote in either party's primary. Moore won.

According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, only 20 state lawmakers throughout the entire United States had faced a recall election before this recall-palooza this summer. That number is nationwide, since 1908, successful or not. I've often wondered if the recall has been abused and a precedent has been set that will lead to many more recalls in the future (say, every election).

Currently, only 19 states allow citizens to recall state officials. It's been a privilege in Wisconsin since 1926 when an amendment to our state constitution was approved by only 50.6 percent of the voters. Since then, only 4 recalls have taken place in our state and 2 of them have been successful (Sen. George Petak in 1996 and Sen. Gary George in 2003). To say this summer has been historic would be an understatement.

Here's what gets me, though: two unexpected elections here have obviously affected the budget that so many people and politicians are fighting over. Printing ballots, manning polling places, printing and publishing notices and finding funds that weren't included in the budget will cost taxpayers millions in unanticipated election costs. I'm sure there will be recounts, too. Additionally, the recall efforts have basically stopped the current Senate from operating in a regular capacity. Half of the senators have been campaigning and raising funds for these unexpected elections. My guess is that ordinary business of legislation has been put aside.

Our state constitution allows for recalls, but I have to be honest in saying that it's been frustrating, especially since I voted for Harsdorf in November. My vote didn't count then? If the recall is successful and Harsdorf is removed from the senate, do Republicans collect signatures to recall Moore the moment she makes a decision in office? If the recall is not successful and Harsdorf remains in office, then what do her opponents do now? They can't try again. According to Wis. Stat. 9.10(6) she could not be recalled again? I guess with the way this summer has unfolded, nothing would surprise me, though.

On a bright side, I've examined my political thought process more than ever before. I feel as if I'm more informed (even though I still don't have a clue). I've been a part of the process from the first rally on campus in River Falls and have carefully weighed both sides and objectively listened to others. I've been open minded and made my decision with confidence.

2 comments:

  1. I'd be fascinated to see the correlation between political views of Wisconsin residents and whether they think recall elections should be allowed. I bet it's pretty strong. Don't get me wrong—I'm not pointing any fingers. In fact, my first thought was, "A recall takes enough work that it'd be pretty hard to abuse. I don't see why a representative shouldn't be held accountable to his or her constituents throughout the whole term." Did I only think that because I don't like Scott Walker? Maybe. Overall, I think the issue has become far too black and white and has clouded people's ability to think rationally about the actual issues. Everyone has an opinion whether or not they're informed. Even if I might not agree with all of your conclusions, I applaud you for working to educate yourself objectively. And since it's been on my reading list for a while (and since I think I'm guilty of having an opinion without being fully informed), I think I'll go check out "The Myth of the Rational Voter" from the library. Thanks, Kevin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The part that bothers me the most is that nothing changed (as far as the Senate seat goes) in my district. There was a lot of money dumped into today and we're in the same place we have been for 9 months and nearly all of the "experts" expected it to turn out this way. It makes me think a group of people were more concerned about "being right" than they were doing what it best for our state and allowing majority to rule whether they agree with them or not.

    Now, I'm much more interested in what the Shelly Moore camp will do now that the majority has spoken...again. Not everyone agrees with her.

    ReplyDelete