Friday, August 19, 2011

A book review of Love Wins

Ok, so this is completely uncharted waters for me. I have never formally critiqued a book. I don't know the protocol and I'm sure I will violate a number of journalistic ethics in the process, but a friend suggested on Facebook that I write my thoughts about Love Wins by Rob Bell. Since I don't have a seminary background and my exegetical skills are deficient, at best, due to my lack of training in systematic theology, hermeneutics and classic languages, I guess I'm a good person to review a book that has more depth than any other book I have read. So, with that disclaimer, enjoy my review.

Rob Bell is smarter than I am. He has extensive Biblical knowledge so I won't attempt to argue any of his points. He also has a knack for presenting thought provoking questions. I first became aware of his "Nooma" series when I was in college and found myself asking many of the questions he asks. This is what ultimately lead me to reading Love Wins: A Book about Heaven, Hell and the Fate of Every Person Who Ever Lived. Well, that and the fact that he is being attacked by nearly every prominent member of the Evangelical world. Does a loving God send people to hell for an eternity? This is a question that I have asked time and time again and I knew this book wrestled with this same question, so I went for it.

I had heard commentary and read a few reviews about the book that said Bell was suggesting at the possibility of hinting that there could be a valid reason to ask the question about the question related to the idea that no one goes to "hell." I was intrigued, but didn't pursue much because rock star pastors are always taken out of context and are unreasonably questioned by skeptics. So I simply put Bell (and this book) into that category and moved on with my life. Then, I went to his church - Mars Hill Bible Church - in Grand Rapids, Michigan and talked to some dear friends who had read the book. Suddenly, I became very interested in this "controversy" and debate. I knew I had to see for myself what the book said, so I did the best that I knew how to block out all of the other voices in order to draw conclusions of the book on my own. I also prayed that God would let the scriptures formulate my opinion, not Rob Bell or any other pastor.

Bell's style is to ask questions. Lots of questions. I appreciate that because I do the same thing. He answers questions with more questions pulling you deeper into the story because you want answers, not more questions. He really doesn't offer many answers, but the way he phrases the questions leads to me to believe that he is hinting at something closely related to what I understand to be "universalism." Christian Univeralism is basically a school of thought that believes in universal reconciliation, or that every human being will be restored to right relationship with God. This was clearly articulated in this book. He wasn't clear on many things because he asked a lot of questions, but he does claim universal reconciliation. This is extremely appealing to many because it's difficult to have standards and accountability if, in the end, everyone gets the prize. I grew up in a church that basically taught that we could think anything we wanted to about God, Jesus and the Bible and in the end we were all good. This is obviously convenient in a world full of sinners - for which I am one. It misses the essence of Jesus, though. Why church and why Jesus if none of it matters?

This book made me think about what I believe the Bible says on many issues and who I believe Jesus to be. I'm not frightened by this. I think Jesus actively pushed people to question the status quo. He did more than anyone else. I welcome books or talks or people who challenge my faith. However, two things did scare me about this book. The first one is how arrogant we can be as created beings. We think that if it doesn't look right to us, or doesn't feel right, than God must be wrong. It's a bold statement, but I see a lot of it everywhere, not just in this book. Would God do something that I wouldn't do? That is what's being asked in this book. Does God care about people as much as I do? That's at the root. Again, I don't have any theological training, however, after reading the Bible for myself, I'm certain God cares more than I do and I'm also certain that His understanding of the world and eternity is far superior to mine. So, just because it's uncomfortable and scary doesn't mean it isn't true. Just because it's not appealing doesn't mean it isn't true. And just because I wouldn't do something if I were in God's shoes doesn't mean it's not perfect and holy. For me to even think I can put myself in God's shoes is a major problem. I don't want to be that arrogant. I guess this is my problem with Christian Universalism (which is an oxymoron, by the way). We don't get to make up our own version of God's Word to fit our circumstances.

The second thing that scares me is how quickly people are to jump on Rob Bell, the person, in response to this while attacking his claims and stance. The first thing that came to my mind when I heard one person rebuke the book was, "Oh crap! Have I become an accidental Pharisee?" As in, am I in the camp that thinks we have it all figured out? Would I be like those people who attacked Jesus for making huge and sweeping statements about what scripture says? Would I attack Jesus if he came to my church and told me I couldn't drink coffee during the service or that I have it all wrong? Am I a part of a community that believes what other people say about the Bible more than what the Bible is actually saying? This is a gentle warning that I'm not about to take lightly.

I don't agree with everything Bell has written in his interpretation of scripture, but then again, I'm not sure if I agree with all of my interpretations, either. This is precisely the point that I think is important for me to realize in reviewing this book. I'm not clear on what the Bible says in many places. And with many of the references in Love Wins, I'm flat out confused. What I do know, however, is that I'm not privileged to put my spin on what the Bible says because I either don't like it or don't get it. Strangely, the feeling that I'm left with after reading this book is that we get to put whatever spin on this whole thing that we find most pleasurable and enjoyable right now. Rob Bell says that "the Good News is that Love Wins," but the feeling I got is that the book is saying People Win. It might be one in the same. I'm not certain. Can God win, love win and people win all at the same time? Again, I'm not sure.



Exegesis is a critical explanation or interpretation of a text, especially a religious text.

Hermeneutics is the study of the theory and practice of interpretation. Traditional hermeneutics—which includes Biblical hermeneutics—refers to the study of the interpretation of written texts, especially texts in the areas of literature, religion and law.

6 comments:

  1. I thought it was a great book that forced me to extensively study the subject out. I've just finished a book that will be out soon on Hell & eternity...

    www.whatthehellbook.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kevin. I appreciate the time you put into this. So if Rob is clearly hinting at Universalism, which as you state is in opposition to Christianity, can't we conclude that his interpretation is false? I don't see how that would be acting like the Pharisees. But I'm also with you - I'm way out of my league on this stuff. Still, this seems like a big issue even though I'm not a pro. He seems off on this. It doesn't just seem like a "new idea", it seems like a wrong idea, a wrong conclusion. In regards to all the evangelical pastors ganging up on Rob, I think it's important to realize they get nothing out of this. Their motivation is to be a pastor, and if one pastor is conflicted with the vast majority (and few if any are coming to Rob's defense), isn't that pretty telling?

    I don't have the answers. But maybe I'm being too vocal for not having read the book. But you're saying what most others conclude: Rob says we all get forgiven and a second chance. Doesn't add up to Christianity. I'm worried about him leading people astray.

    Thanks a ton for your review and time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for taking the time to read the book and write your review. Just yesterday I found this review on Love Wins, and the perspective the blogger had was completely different from yours. In fact, one might think you were reading two different books. Check it for yourself.
    http://donmilleris.com/2011/04/01/my-review-of-love-wins/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kev,
    I just finished Love Wins last night, and took away a different message. Isn't that fascinating? (No seriously, cool, YK?) Can't wait to discuss! My huge take away from this book was that God is HUGE and he inviting our ONGOING participation in this life and the afterlife, and that the "big picture" of what heaven is and what hell is is a lot bigger than we can ever explain it to be, and that maybe, probably, a lot of the church's focus has been misguided by too much human/simplistic interpretation- our desire for the tangible/concrete, black and white. The whole "the Bible is written FOR us but not TO us" thing. That is not to say there is no absoulute Truth. I didn't take away that sort of advocation for Univeralism. I really thought he communicated effectively that Jesus is the way, and that God's love HUGE and far-reaching, and inclusive, and that faith is supposed to be dynamic. Lets chat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm almost finished with Francis Chan's book that was written after Rob Bell wrote his. I wouldn't say it was written to rebuke Bell, but it does. I don't understand it all. Maybe no one goes to hell. Maybe people do. We can't afford to be wrong, though.

    "I would love to think, as some have suggested, that the Bible doesn't actually say a whole lot about hell. I would love to stare at my friend's face when he asked that question we all fear - 'Do you think I'm going to hell?' - and say 'No! There is no such place! Jesus loves you and wants to heal your pain and turn your sorrows into gladness!'

    But the New Testament writers didn't have the same allergic reaction to hell as I do. Perhaps they had a view of God that is much bigger than mine. A view of God that takes Him at His word and doesn't try to make Him fit our moral standards and human sentimentality. A view of God that believes what He says, even when it doesn't make perfect sense to us." (Erasing Hell, Chan, pg 108)

    In fairness to Rob Bell, he never takes a side on the issue. He simply asks provocative questions that leads one to believe he supports one side of the argument. He doesn't pick a side, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As Christ said: "He whose has ears, let them hear.". If you want to learn alot about a person's heart, then listen to the criticism they unleash from their mouth. It is terribly sad to read some of what is being said about this book. As I was once told by a wise man: "You have truly be ome educated when you realize how much you do not know.". From the very first page, Rob compels the reader to ask better questions. Read, listen and pray; then trust the Holy Spirit. Life with God is a journey of the heart. For those that criticize: are you so sure your heart is beating in rhythm with God's?

    ReplyDelete