Thursday, February 2, 2012

Schultz International Memorial

As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm in Colorado Springs at the Olympic Training Center for the Dave Schultz Memorial International. This event usually pits the top American athletes against each other and adds a few international stars. This year, athletes from Canada, Japan, Bulgaria and Italy highlight the foreign competition. Central American countries are usually represented, as well. The Schultz is one of three international tournaments held in the United States.

In February, my schedule is loaded with practices and tournaments. I cherish the opportunity to kick it off with an event of this caliber. Last weekend, I was a guest clinician at a youth tournament. I showed technique and shook hands with hundreds of 1st graders. This week, I get to sit in the corner of world medalist and shake hands with Olympic champions. In between these two events, I worked with athletes at the youth, middle school, high school and college levels. In less than a week, I have experienced every level of wrestling. This is a dream come true for a wrestling junkie like myself.

One of the major advantages that I have by being involved at every level is that it helps me to communicate more effectively with age group. First of all, I witness the difference in levels and how to put everything in proper perspective. Secondly, opportunities like this help me everywhere I go in this sport. Spending time with ten year old wrestlers give me an opportunity to learn much differently than does spending time with athletes in their twenties who have committed their life to training and competing. I can bring high level skills and techniques down to other age groups and I can bring the energy and fun of the young wrestlers up to the professionals.

No matter what age level I'm watching or working with, I always conclude that, left to its own, wrestling is inherently FUN. Those who are most passionate about enjoying themselves and the journey benefit the most from what wrestling offers. I hope I never lose sight of this.


The Dave Schultz International Memorial is named for one of America's greatest wrestling champions - Dave Schultz. He was a 3-time world and Olympic champion. He embodied many of the great qualities offered in wrestling. Until the day he passed away, he exuded passion and demonstrated that he loved what he was doing. For him, wrestling was, no doubt, fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment