Thursday, February 9, 2012

Badgering referees

Last weekend I went to a high school wrestling tournament, and wow, some wrestling coaches are jerks! I'm sure this is the case in every sport, but put it this way: there were are a few who definitely made the rest look better. I have no problem calling out colleagues in this manner. I was particularly appalled by how poorly a few decided to treat the referees.

Maybe I've become more aware of this because my dad puts blood, sweat and, yes, even tears into wearing the stripes. He often tells me about coaches who are out of line and belligerent. I see it from the stands as a spectator and from the corner as a coach, but it doesn't affect me directly. It does affect him. That's not why I'm sharing this topic. If an adult can treat another human being in public like what I saw, how are they treating people when no one is looking? How do they treat their athletes? This worries me for many reasons.

One coach, who was out of line the entire day, acted completely childish as he was inappropriately badgering a referee about the way he called stalling. He was out of his chair and in the wrestling area. The referee patiently and respectfully asked him to back up. The coach put his feet together like a 4 year old and took two minuscule steps back, pouted and asked the referee if it was far enough. Seriously, that actually happened. In real life. A grown man acted like an infant in front of hundreds of others in an attempt to prove a point. The point he made was that he's an arrogant prick. Throughout the day, this particular individual instructed the referees more than his athletes. It all sounds very dramatic, doesn't it? Sadly, the truth is that it's just par for the course at high school tournaments.

Actions and behaviors like what I saw last weekend make it obvious to me why we have a referee shortage. Why would someone want to spend their Saturday getting raked over the coals for $75? Of course, they're their for the kids and want to give back to the sport, but an individual can only handle so much unnecessary ridicule. The irony is that many of these self-entitled coaches who believe they're exempt from the rules tell their athletes to give back to the sport. Why? So he can yell at them, too?

A quick solution that is easy in theory and difficult in practice is, as a wrestling community, we need to empower referees to hold coaches demonstrating this type of behavior accountable. Follow the rule book. When a coach questions the judgement of a referee it's a "warning." In almost every tight high school wrestling match, at least one coach challenges the referee about the way he chooses to call stalling. The moment the coach walks towards the table to complain - during or after the match - give him an official warning. The second time, get rid of him. It's time to bring down the long arm of the law on these jack wagons. Sounds simple. The catch is that these coaches rank the referees, so they hold the power. A coach can critique and hammer the referee (some coaches inappropriately call this holding referees accountable), but the referee is powerless to hold the coach accountable. On playgrounds, they call these coaches "bullies."

This is a serious issue in our sport. It's time to draw attention to combating this problem. Coaches, call out other coaches when they're inappropriate (one coach did this last weekend and fans cheered). Referees, hold these coaches accountable. Parents, expect better behavior from the men coaching your children. They're role models and more is caught than is taught. Attitude reflects leadership, so look at the attitude and conduct of the leader in your program. Speak out.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot agree more. I was a ref for three years and worked at youth, middle, and high school levels. I even got the chance to ref with Dave Black at a few tournaments. Even though I consider myself to have an above average level of knowledge in the sport of wrestling, reffing is a totally different field that requires a unique set of skills. These skills cannot be developed overnight and if you asked a veteran ref I would expect they would tell you it takes 5+ years (Hence the Master ranking) before you have truely developed the necessary skills. And just like all areas of life you need to be a life long learner to continually improve.

    Yet, like you stated, the wrestling community continues to badger refs young and old. I understand that refs need constructive feedback in order to improve their skills, but the feedback doesn't need to come from a lunatic fan in the stands or a coach from the corner. Odds are they have never worn the stripes and performed in the stressful situations a ref encounters.

    I unfortunatly didn't love reffing, mainly because I have always wanted to coach, and have since "retired". I have experienced both heckling and support and I am greatful for my experiences. I know what it is like to be on the other side of the fence and I will take my experiences with me into my coaching career. I wish it would be required to ref for one year before being able to become a coach.

    Note to the coaches who act like the toddler above: Coaches are human and they remember who you are and how you treat them. Acting like a baby and constantly arguing and "reffing" from the corner is counterproductive to your intents.

    ReplyDelete