Wednesday, February 22, 2012

If you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it

The high school state tournament starts tomorrow and many athletes are going to have their dreams realized. Many more won't. Regardless of the desirable outcome, this event has the potential to go down as one of the most memorable moments in the lives of these athletes.

We've been hard at work at Victory School of Wrestling in anticipation of this weekend. A large number of athletes have bought into the system and will hit their current physical, mental and emotional peak as a wrestler on Saturday night in the Kohl Center. The work is done and it's time to see those visualizations play out in real time.

This is an exciting time for many of us as athletes, coaches and fans. The season builds to this event. That's why it makes sense that many of these young men are actually quite scared and unsure of themselves right now. Strange, huh? We might be excited, but they might be petrified. They put a lot of pressure on these three days to perform to their expectations (and win). They've also put a lot of pressure on the situation or desirable outcome to fulfill them in some abstract way. That's when it all can become destructive and they're scared because that's scary.

I spend a lot of time speaking greatness into the lives of our athletes and casting vision for their athletic careers and beyond. Within those categories, I'm quick to point out that winning a state title will not add value to one's life. It can be exciting and fun, for sure, however, it won't come to define them or give their life meaning or value. The famous one-liner that we repeat at Victory is, "when you wake up the day after you win a state title, it will be Sunday, just like every other weekend." No value is gained or significance acquired. It's a great feat and athletic accomplish, but that's it. Our sports culture has some how communicated that state titles, national championships or Olympic gold medals will make us happy or fulfill us. A gold medal is a wonderful thing - but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.* These young men must know this if they are to give it their all and take the steps necessary towards becoming the men of character and integrity they were created to be.

The most relevant and important information that I try to convey to my athletes is that I actually don't care if they win or lose. Did you catch that? I don't care. It makes no difference to me. Now, truth be told, I do want them to win and because I'm invested in them, I'd love to see them accomplish the goals they've set out to. I don't lose sleep over the wins and losses, though (well, there are still a few losses that creep back into the forefront of my brain on occasion). What I'm concerned with is that they...cliche...give it their all. It's true, that's what matters to me. My role in their life is to demand this and pull it out of them. If they're able to focus and take care of the process, the desirable outcome is likely to happen. Or maybe it won't. Doing your best and being your best is the requirement needed to begin using these opportunities as building blocks to becoming the man God created you to be. Too many people place too high an emphasis on winning and losing and not enough on what happens during the six minutes.

Don't misunderstand me, I want the athletes that I work with to win. And I cheer for them, jump up and down and do a few fist pumps in the process, but an overwhelmingly positive attitude and undying effort is what I expect. Attitude and effort is 100% within your own control. So I say, control it. If they focus on the process and go all in (Blaze of Glory reference to those in-the-know) I'm pleased and happy for my athletes. I believe they know this and it gives them a sense of freedom to not be competing with winning and losing at the top of their list. The outcome of events and matches don't last, but the character developed along the way does.

One of my favorite movies of all-time is Gladiator. It's an epic story of a Roman soldier turned slave and gladiator. It's about the struggle of identity. It's one of the biggest struggles we face as human beings, isn't it? Wrestlers face this struggle at the state tournament, too. My encouragement is to be yourself. Anything that requires you to be somebody other than yourself is not worth your time (this includes sports). Identity before activity is our mantra. Know who you are and you'll know what to do. This includes living our lives to the fullest (giving it your all).



"When you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so and to die with a weapon yet un-drawn." - Miyamoto Musashi

*the gold medal quote is from Cool Runnings with John Candy

1 comment:

  1. Yet another wonderful post. Thank you so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete