Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Called by God to play a role in His story

I don't know how to describe this, but I know without hesitation that God has called me to run Victory School of Wrestling. I have understood with 100% certainty only a few things that I believe God commissioned me to do in my life. Coaching wrestling and being an influence in the lives of athletes by operating my own club is one of them.

God didn't show up in a burning bush or some other obvious way, though. Instead, He continually reconfirms that my desires are His desires through every book I read, person I talk to, sermon I hear and church service I attend. That's how He's revealed the role He wants me to play in this story.

Victory has been opened for six years and God has graciously taken care of the athletes who participate and me as their coach. He's provided me unlimited opportunities to make a real difference in the lives of young men and women and I have seen God's glory revealed through what takes place in us and through us. There have been numerous examples of how the time invested at Victory (by the athletes, parents and coaches) has paid huge dividends. God is faithful, that's for sure!

All of this said and understood, I've done my best to be transparent and demonstrate my faith in an authentic way through Victory School of Wrestling. In that spirit, I'm quick to share both triumphs and struggles with athletes and parents. As the leader and authoritative figurehead within the club, those who look to me must see me looking to God. Of course, I have mentors and other leaders who are influential in my life, but God is my ultimate authority and coach.

It's very easy to work with exceptional athletes who are generally high achievers and wonderful human beings with great character. It's also easy to trust God when He is coming through day in and day out to keep the lights on. It's a little more difficult when the pressures and realities of life sink in and challenge to take away this well-oiled machine.

Like nearly every small business in the United States in 2011, our expenses went up and our income went down. It was easily predicted and God showed up time in and time out to make ends meet. However, the reality is that 2012 is going to be drastically different. Add to the equation that our lease on the building that currently occupies Victory School of Wrestling will expire in the fall. This has thrust me into a serious quandary of what to do next. I've had to think outside the box. I'm sure many of you can identify...

Here's the point, though, it's easy to follow and trust God with the direction of our lives when everything is "hunky dory." As He provides and takes care of us, we're quick to praise Him and enjoy our circumstances. It gets a little more difficult when your story and what He's clearly called you to do involves pain, expenses, financial distress, etc. and you don't know what to do, doesn't it?

I have hope in knowing God doesn't plan the end without planning the means. But it's still scary. It's scary because I don't know how it ends. I'm not sure if He'll provide a way for us to continue operating in the same building or if we're supposed to move. Maybe He will "gift" us a facility. I've seen it happen. Maybe we'll re-negotiate and sign another lease, purchase something or dismantle all together. Or do something in between. Regardless of how it ends, I have an integral part in the story to play right now. That's not quit as fun and it's not full of "Hallelujahs" and "Praise God" sentiments. I have to make phone calls, weigh-out options and consider many different scenarios. It's hard work and it comes with uncertainty. If I didn't live this part of my life out loud like the times it's easy to say, "Amen!" what kind of faith would I be demonstrating?

Often times, the saddest parts of our story aren't things we do; instead, they're things we won't do that God has called us to do. We don't get to depend on God's sovereignty by being irresponsible and apathetic. It's not always sunshine and rainbows, but once you know what it takes to live a better story and to follow the story of God, you don't have a choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment