Monday, October 10, 2011

MMQB: Week 5

"You can't stop them. You can only hope to contain them." Stuart Jackson used to make a habit of saying this during Sports Center. It's the quote that was constantly ringing in my head last night during the Packers-Falcons game. The Falcons started the game perfectly - controlling the clock and keeping the Packers offense off the field. However, it was only a matter of time before Rodgers was able to pick apart the defense. I think Packers fans were a little greedy during the game last night, though. For me, it's refreshing to see the Packers are capable of winning "ugly," too. They're good. Really good.

The most exciting player of the weekend was Victor Cruz. The Giants wide receiver was unheard of before this season, but he makes acrobatic catches every weekend. Adrian Peterson did alright, too, but Calvin Johnson hasn't played yet. Drew Brees is the biggest superstar that nobody talks about. His numbers are almost as good as Brady, he's winning football games as well as anybody (except Rodgers) and he just put an entire team on his back and carried them to a win...again. I need to give Fred Jackson some props, too. Behind that young offensive line, he could rush for over 1,400 yards. And not-so-quietly, Jared Allen is playing like a Pro Bowler again.

Seriously, what's the deal with the Eagles? Michael Vick has seven interceptions and seven fumbles. I don't care how electrifying he is, that's a problem. The Eagles are a problem. Since Andy Reid is one of my favorite coaches, I haven't counted them out, but I'm getting very, very close. I heard separate interviews of both Reid and Vick. They both said they take the full responsibility for what's happening. To me, that doesn't make sense. Two people cannot be fully responsible, can they? I think they need to sort out who's in charge of the team (and Vick is not in charge). I just don't have much love for the entire NFC East right now. There isn't one team in that division that inspires me.

I have counted out John Candy and the Jets. They're a very good team, but they just keep losing. They can't afford to do that in their division. The Patriots are the Patriots and the Bills are for real. I don't think they can catch either of those teams and they can't rely on the other wild card spot with all of the surprising teams (Oakland, Tennessee, Cincinnati, etc.).

I'm sold on the Bills, Raiders and 49ers. I think all three teams will be in the playoffs. Jim Harbaugh knows what he's doing. He has Alex Smith looking like a Pro Bowl leader right now. And their defense is completely legit.

The Raiders played "inspired" yesterday, however, they're good enough to win games like that every week (except for when the go to Lambeau...). Al Davis was a pretty big deal to professional football. I enjoyed watching the pregame shows yesterday and hearing how he impacted some of the best personalities in the game. He was a key factor in integrating the AFL and NFL, the first to hire an African-American head coach, a Latino head coach and a female CEO. What a pioneer. Good for him.

Tim Tebow has arrived, much to the chagrin of Merrill Hodge on NFL Live. Well, he was at least put in the line-up. I'm not sure if he's arrived yet. He is a gamer, though. How can you not love this guy? I like that he was a superstar without playing. It goes to show that people do like high character players. He has set himself apart and God is using him. Now, we get to draw our conclusions of him based on how well (or poorly) he can throw a football. I'm not as optimistic about his skills as I am his character. He's still and gamer, though, and he's a winner.

I'm ashamed to write that I put Ben Roethlisberger on waivers in one of my fantasy leagues right before the weekend started. Good one, Kevin. I just finished writing that after week 4 last year, he was money. He was suspended then and in terms of fantasy impact, he might as well have been this year. Now he's rolling and I have Jason Campbell instead. Dang.

No comments:

Post a Comment