Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Damsel in distress

I drove to a nearby high school for practice on Tuesday. I left early enough to give myself margin to discuss plans with the head wrestling coach. I was scheduled to arrive approximately 30 minutes early. Then I came around a bend in the road and saw a Volkswagen Jetta in the ditch. I knew I had to help.

The car had gone into the ditch only a few moments before I arrived. The female driver was in distress and had yet to call anyone for help. She really didn't know what to do. She mentioned that she was planning on calling AT&T for help (not AAA), so it was clear that she needed some assistance. Apparently, she came around the bend and there was a oncoming car passing in her lane so she chose the ditch instead of the head-on collision. She hadn't gone too far into the ditch, so I was certain that I'd be able to get her out.

I could give you a lot more detail, but to make a long story short, I "shoveled" the snow around her car with an old IKEA frying pan that I had in my trunk. I tried to push her out alone, but it wasn't until two other guys stopped and offered their assistance that we got her out. She was "hung up" on snow and the three of us lifted the rear of the car so she could get her front tires down for traction and that was it. She was out and we all parted ways.

This cut into my margin significantly. In fact, I was 10 minutes late for practice. It ended up being one of the most teachable moments of the day, though. I shared how I had helped a "damsel in distress" by lifting a car out of the ditch. We all chuckled, but it was important for them to hear that people actually do help others. We all want to be able to offer a helping hand, but often times we don't want it to interfere with what he have planned. I had a few opportunities that would have allowed me to leave the scene and it would have been appropriate, but I was determined to "go the extra mile" to help this stranger. You know, the whole pay-it-forward thing.

I was amazed by how many cars drove past us without slowing down to see if they could help or asking if everything was alright. I was disappointed in these people, but it inspired me. I was determined to get this car out of the ditch so I could tell 30+ high school boys that they have a responsibility to humanity to help others and to be able to say it with conviction and credibility. I left with a little extra energy and referred to the story often throughout practice. I'm certain that it resonated with a few of the wrestlers and they'll be quick to help a stranger in need in the future.

I can't help but to think of the impact a simple act of kindness can have. Sure, the girl who was stuck was immediately affected, but I think every situation like this has potential to have a ripple effect, like the movie Pay It Forward. A local radio station does the Drive Through Difference and the ripple effects are nothing short of moves of God. You never know when someone is down on their luck and a simple act of kindness can give them hope to carry on. The moment might eat into your margin, but that ripple effect is worth it. I seek out opportunities to help. I hope you do, too.


"If anyone forces you to go a mile, go with them two miles." - Matthew 5:41

No comments:

Post a Comment