Friday, February 4, 2011

What are you trying to sell?

I'm a huge fan of Seth Godin and read his blog daily. This idea sounds like something he would say, but this is an original thought. I'm certain you'll be able to identify with me on this even if it's outside my jurisdiction as a wrestling coach.

I have been enamored by the possibility of mobile Internet since I first used an air card six years ago. Internet everywhere is an awesome idea. I travel a fair amount and thought it was finally time to give it a try. I've been able to access my e-mail and Internet from my phone for a few years, but needed free wi-fi to get on with my computer. I did the math and right now it's more cost effective for me to use the mobile wi-fi option for my home and Victory. One service, one payment.

I went to the phone store and was excited to take a technological step in the right direction. I walked into the store wanting nothing more than Internet everywhere. The sales consultant told me about a certain mobile hotspot that offered 4G speed in areas with 4G service. He raved about how much faster 4G service was than anything else. He assured me that when 4G is not available, the 3G service is faster than traditional DSL. I've had DSL since 2000, so I'm quite familiar (and usually satisfied) with the speed. He warned that 3G may not be best for customers who download a lot of movies or for online gaming. I don't do either so I thought this "upgrade" would be wonderful.

The problem is 4G is not available in my hometown and 3G is much slower than what I'm used to. I still have internet everywhere, but now I'm an unsatisfied customer because I'm not getting what I thought I was paying for.

Here's the point: I just wanted mobile wi-fi. I didn't care if it was slower. When he told me it was going to be faster, though, I expected that it would be. He had me at "hello," so why did he pump-up his protect even more? I would have been extremely satisfied had he not told me I was getting more.

1 comment:

  1. It's always about expectations, isn't it. It's amazing how much sales people like that can disappoint. They're just so into their sale that they don't see/hear what you want.

    I can hear the Godin in your voice - awesome. I've been through Purple Cow and I want Linchpin next.

    Any solution to your internet everywhere? Wishing you'd bought iPad with 3G?

    ReplyDelete