Monday, January 31, 2011

The misunderstanding of greatness

I believe that we are all destined for greatness is something. I really do. I believe God created us all with uniqueness and distinction and with a specific purpose to do what only we can do. There is only one "you" that will ever live and you have something great to offer.

I make it a priority to speak "greatness" into the lives of my athletes because I want to see them DO great and BE great. As an adjective, the word great can be described in so many ways: extraordinary, unusual, famous, of favor, wonderful, first-rate, notable, etc. I want to see those around me become great because the world is depending on them to be, but I don't want to sell the word short. Being great is extraordinary, among other things, and shouldn't be used haphazardly.

I went to two separate wrestling tournaments yesterday and I saw many people that I knew. I lost count of how many people said, "it is/was great to see you." Was it really great? Was it even good to see me? Or was just seeing me another minuscule happening during your day? I don't think I'm that big of a deal that it would make for a great event to be seen. I saw a lot of people and it wasn't great. Of course, there were some dear friends that I had not seen in quite some time and it was great to see them, as in wonderful.

To do great and be great - as God intended - I think we need to venture into the realm of extraordinary and unusual. I really don't think we want to minimize our potential for greatness to being in the same category as recognizing someone at Wal-Mart and calling that great. It's not about being famous or notable, either, though. It's about having the courage to be who you were created to be and doing what only you are capable of doing. Your greatness will leave its mark and the world will never be the same. I even dare to say that the world is depending on you to live up to the expectations you're called to.

No comments:

Post a Comment