Monday, January 24, 2011

On Jay Cutler

Once again, I'm taking a stab at my own version of Monday Morning Quarterback. I have some insight on the Jay Cutler debacle that I haven't heard from the media outlets and analysts, so I thought it was appropriate to share my thoughts here.

If you know me at all, you know that I am a die-hard Packers fan. I also have a strong dislike for the Chicago Bears and I dislike the player of Jay Cutler more than anyone in the NFL. So I've exposed my bias and for the record, I do respect the Chicago Bears (unlike my other disliked franchise).

Of course, I've never played a down in the NFL, or in any football league for that matter, so I don't claim to understand the pressures that Cutler was facing. I have, however, competed at a high level and understand the mindset of an athlete in his situation. I've also had a number of knee injuries, including a MCL sprain - the same injury Cutler has been diagnosed with. This is just to say that I have some credibility in my assessment.

I'm not questioning the physical toughness of Jay Cutler. I'm not challenging his character or desire for success. I'm just calling what I saw. I think Jay Cutler mentally broke.

On occasion, we all mentally break. Fortunately most of us don't break on one of the largest stages in professional sports in front of millions of people. Unfortunately for Cutler, he did, but criticizing his manhood is way out of bounds.

Here's what I saw:

Cutler was not playing very well. In fact, he was playing quite poorly. It's even safe to say that he wasn't living up to his end of the bargain as he was being out-played by the opposing quarterback. The Packers defense was confusing him and he was becoming frustrated. This is all understandable. It was cold, they were behind on the score board and hope was dwindling quickly. It would be hard for any leader in his situation to be overly optimistic. With that said, he was still "in" the game and had a chance until the end of the second quarter.

Trailing 14-0, Aaron Rodgers threw an interception that bounced off the leg of Donald Driver into the waiting hands of Lance Briggs who was the benefactor a classic right place at the right time situation. It was some good fortune for the Bears. Suddenly, they had a pulse and Cutler knew that a touchdown before half would give them momentum going into the locker room. I think he stepped up to the plate, but forced things a little too much and missed on a deep pass that resulted in an interception. That's precisely when Cutler "broke." His demeanor was never the same and the pressure of the situation got the best of him.

Before that ill-faded pass, Cutler was focused on winning the football game. After the pass his focus shifted someplace else. His attitude went South. Certainly that is not the end of the world and a half time break could have cured the problem, however, there was an injury that was hidden below his laser focus. Once he lost focus, the injury crept into play. It became a "back door," or out, for him as a player. That back door is like a nasty disease and every high level athlete knows it. They do everything to avoid giving themselves that back door. It's a principal of sports - when push comes to shove and you have given yourself a back door, you will take it every time. No matter who you are, you can't avoid it. This time, for Cutler, it was at an extremely crucial time in the game and the end result was a Bears loss.

Coming from a one-on-one combat sport, I fully understand the significance in breaking your opponent. It happens at the strangest times and sometimes without warning or expectation, but you know it when you see it. Cutler was taking a beating, but his mind was still in the game. If your mind is in it, you can force your body to be in it. Once his mind was out of it, so was his body. He couldn't pinpoint the time of the injury and to that I say, of course he couldn't because he was focused on winning a football game. When he wasn't focused on winning a football game he became aware of the injury.

Once again, I bleed green and gold and don't like Jay Cutler as a football player, but I feel the need to stick up for him a little in this situation. I don't think his physical toughness should be discussed. He broke and had no place to hide. The physical toughness argument is way over-rated.

I do think this whole situation brings up another interesting topic that I will stay away from. The expectations of the NFL players who were tweeting reveals the barbaric mindset of professional athletes that leads to an abundance of complications and problems after their football career. Obviously, when millions and millions of dollars are at stake, there are huge expectations, but professional athletes are human beings and should take caution when putting their life on the line. The "tough guy" mentality is only proving to be a bunch of meat heads disregarding their body for temporary success (that doesn't last, by the way). I'm glad the NFL is taking steps in the right direction with concussions, but why not knee injuries and other injuries? Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment