Friday, September 25, 2009

The Big 3-0

Today is my birthday! In years past, I have been very excited for this day. However, as we get further and further from 1979, I no longer look forward to this day with anticipation.

I remember feeling butterflies in my stomach for weeks leading up to my big day. I am fortunate to have grown up in a family that made a very big deal out of birthday celebrations. Our extended family filled our house on the first weekend available following our own special date.

It became awkward for everyone when you became a teenager because it was unclear if we were too "mature" for Mom and Dad to host another party. If there was a party, were you supposed to get presents and what type of gifts were you to receive? My grandparents gave me a card with money inside that equalled the age that I turned. When I turned 13, I received $13 from each grandparent. Now, a simple phone call will sufice, if that.

I have had a lot of great memories on September 25th over the past 30 years. I do not remember, but I have seen pictures of 9/25/80 - #1 - when my Grandpa Julie gave me my first winter jacket. I fell over because it weighed as much as I did. On 9/25/88 I fell off a hay wagon and severly cut my right arm. I have a scar to prove it. 9/25/93 was memorable because Kady Kleven broke my heart at the Homecoming football game. I cried. 9/25/03 was significant because it was the first birthday as a married man and last year I had the best gift yet, a baby boy named Isaiah James. There are so many more memories; I could go on and on.

9/25/09 is a very unique birthday "celebration" for me. I am spending the day halfway around the world without a single family member within 6,000 miles. It is also unique because I dredded the day that I would turn 30...the day that I became "old." The fact is, now I can measure my life in decades. I have reached an age that I can no longer "die a tragically young death." By body is digressing (or decaying) every moment. I am out of touch with the modern youth culture and I am happy to purchase clothes at Target. I thought that day would NEVER come.

So, here I am. 30 years old. I will admit that I am sulking a bit, but I honestly do not feel any older. People always say, "age is just a number." That is probably true and I know that I have a lot of great years ahead of me as a husband, father and businessman. Maintaining a proper perspective is the key ingredient to making sure that age just stays a number. At the moment, I am owning the quote on a t-shirt I purchased for one of my assitant coaches: "Been acting my shoe size since 1986."

If I can do that, I will stay young at heart and that is all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment