Saturday, September 26, 2009

Absolute Truth

I am anxiously awaiting my return home for a myriad of reasons. I miss my family and my country dearly. I am also excited to reconnect in the lives of the athletes that I work with. On Monday I will be the keynote speaker for the premier of FalconLife – Athletes In Action’s monthly gathering – on campus at UW-River Falls.

I have a passion to reach college athletes. Together, Liz and I have volunteered to lead AIA at UWRF through the SportLink connection. AIA is a Christian sports ministry and a division of Campus Crusade for Christ. The mission is One World to Reach, One Language of Sport, One Message of Victory.

In his best-selling book The Closing of the American Mind Allan Bloom writes, “there is one thing a professor can be absolutely certain of: almost every student entering the university believes, or says he believes, that truth is relative.” Today it is common to hear the word relative used when talk turns to ethics, morality or religious matters.

I do not consider myself to be a “religious” man. I identify myself as a Christ follower who supports the movement of Jesus Christ and I do believe that there is, in fact, absolute truth.

The Bible states that full knowledge of all things belongs to God alone and not to man (Romans 11:33-34). Translation: we do not know everything. While there is much that humans cannot discern, there is also much that God has revealed to them (Deuteronomy 29:29). So, we can trust his Word because He proves himself trustworthy. If we do accept the Bible as God’s inspired and true Word (2 Timothy 3:16, 2 Peter 1:21), then there is at least one thing in this world that is not relative: scripture.

My heart’s cry for these college athletes comes from John 17:17. It says, “sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.” I can share my faith with others and I have the ability to be very convincing. However, I am not looking for these young men and women to agree with me. Instead, I am hoping to merely introduce them to the God of the universe and watch them experience Him for who He is.

No comments:

Post a Comment