Monday, September 21, 2009

Be Still

At this moment, I am experiencing trials of many kinds and I feel as if I have been thrust into the furnace of fire. There is a crazy typhoon within my soul and my mind has been filled with many divergent thoughts. Sometimes I feel completely overwhelmed by thoughts and emotions that I do not know what to do. Most recently, I do not even know how to feel about what I am feeling or know what I am supposed to be feeling. It is definately a conundrum--an intricate and difficult problem.

The words that I hear God speaking to me right now start with a quote from Erwin McManus. He says, “I search for thoughts and none come. Or maybe there are so many that none can be heard. Noise and silence are not opposites but enemies. Both noise and silence trap us. In the noise find meaning. In the silence find stillness. Listen until you hear that still small voice.”

Often times when I am confused I turn to music. I can identify quickly with words that are sung. However, in my current situation, I need to turn to God's Word before the words of humans. This is a particular moment when I need to be aware of God and know when not to sing. “Whoever sings songs to a heavy heart is like one who takes off a garment on a cold day” (Proverbs 25:20). I need to listen to God and allow myself to be transparent and authentic before my Creator.

For me to listen, I need to be still. I shall seek silence and attempt to eliminate noise. I hope to camp somewhere between the two and trust the promises that God has made. "Be still, and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10).

If I am sincerley still and basking in the presence of the Lord, my trials can bring great pleasure to God. In return, that will bring great pleasure to me.

"We also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope" (Romans 5:3-4).

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything" (James 1:2-4).

No comments:

Post a Comment