Thursday, June 28, 2012

Today's Athletes - A Blog Series

Every few months I try to write a small series of blogs that are related in substance and topic. A couple of these series' received a lot of attention. Others, not so much. This week I plan on sharing a few ideas about the sports culture - something I'm very passionate about. I'd like to focus specifically on the athletes.

I hear coaches, parents, teachers and other adults claim that athletes today "are different." They say today's kids (athletes) don't work hard, don't respect authority, etc. I don't believe kids are different, however, the pressures surrounding them are new. This creates a different culture that turns out athletes that are unlike generations before them.

Below is a borrowed list of what I see the typical athlete in 2012 looks like:

1. High sense of entitlement, low sense of gratitude
2. Always makes withdrawals, rarely makes deposits
3. Demands rights, forsakes responsibilities
4. Doesn't follow through on commitments
5. Thinks what they're dealing with is the biggest deal
6. Excuses their own issues, picks out faults of others
7. Talks so much, listens so little
8. Wants success, won't work for it

I will focus on each of the eight characteristics of today's athletes in my upcoming posts. I encourage readers to offer their insights and opinions in an attempt to steer the ship in the right direction.

Many of these characteristics, I believe, are a result of the "exceptional child" movement. As in, every child is exceptional and unique. This mindset says that children are born perfect and it's our duty to keep them that way when, in fact, every child is born imperfect and hard wired for struggle.

I do believe everyone is created with uniqueness and distinction in the image of God, so they have intrinsic value. I also believe that kids are just that...kids. They are not, and should not, be the center of the universe. When they are - at home or as a result of sports - you get individuals who fit into every category of the above list. Chances are, if every night at your household revolves around practice and game schedules, your son or daughter has become the center of your universe and they are on a path to become the typical athlete mentioned above. Hopefully we can create a dialogue that empowers parents to take the control of their families back from sports. It might require some difficult decisions, though.

Disclaimer: I certainly don't believe I have all of the answers on how to make a difference. I might not have any. I see a fundamental error in how we, as a sports culture, do what we do and I'm trying to be the change I want to see in the world. I'm inviting you to help me.

3 comments:

  1. Talk it up. I will be listening. Important conversation. Just read a book on Inside/Out Coaching and this is on my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By Joe Ehrman? Great resource on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post makes so much sense. When growing up on the farm I was allowed to paricipate in one sport. Because my help was needed on the family farm, this one opportunity to get away was highly treasured. Today, many parents are running year round with their kids which of course is their choice. But when wrestling season comes around I bet those kids do not feel the appreciation I felt as a kid!

    ReplyDelete