Monday, June 18, 2012

Ask questions

My oldest son, Isaiah, is in a stage of life that has him asking question after question. The word used most in his vocabulary is "why?" Of course, I encourage him to ask questions because they help him learn and us what is important to him.

I ask a lot of questions, too. I often ask others why others do what they do. I'm interested in their "story" and what motivates them. Leaders are learners and learners need to ask questions to understand how others view the world.

Our questions help us learn. They also communicate our values.

I distinctly recall my parents asking how events and school activities went. They communicated to me that they were interested in me being my best and doing my best. Their questions always revealed their values. They didn't ask what grade I had earned or if I won or lost. Often times, parents (and coaches) say they simply want their kids to give their best effort, but the questions they ask reveal otherwise. Did you win? Did you pass? What was the score? What grade did you get? These are questions that are focused on the outcome, not the process. They really have very little to do with giving the best effort. Kids can tell what their parents value based on the questions they ask.

Imagine for a moment that you receive a phone call from authorities explaining that there has been accident involving someone you love. Isn't the first thing that comes out of your mouth extremely important? Is everyone alright? How's the car? Both of these questions communicate your values and you had better get that right.

Listen to the questions you're asking and be sure they're the ones you want to ask. Think what is most important and ask questions that reflect your values, and ask a lot of questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment