Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Greatness

I spent the day at Stoughton Middle School sharing a few insights into what it takes to be great. I presented the "Preamble to Greatness" to the Bob Empey's 8th grade physical education classes. Two of my friends, Bob and Mel Dow, put together a vision for their students that I'm on board with and they brought me in as a guest speaker.

The Preamble to Greatness starts with humility, the opposite of pride. Pride is all about "me" and humility is about serving others. Humility leads to honor. Humility and honor are always in the same space. Because of humility, it's possible to maintain a healthy perspective of who we are which leads us to value and honor others and take on servant leadership. These steps begin the process to reaching one's true potential. This is true greatness and is possible only when we stay on the correct path. Your path determines your destination.

I really enjoyed my time with the students today and believe we planted some seeds that will produce wonderful fruits in the near future. This experience has motivated me to market Victory School of Wrestling in a new way. We have a lot of great insights that we can offer to middle school and high school students even if they're not interested in wrestling. I hope this opens many more opportunities to work with school districts.

No comments:

Post a Comment