Sunday, January 3, 2010

With glowing hearts

The countdown to the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Games is underway. On February 12-28 we'll be privileged to see the world's greatest athletes compete. The Olympic Games are the biggest arena for individual heroism in sports and my heart strings are tugged every time I witness greatness on a grand scale.

The 1998 Games in Nagano are particularly meaningful to me. Many great memories took place during these two weeks. As a high school athlete, I accomplished some of the biggest goals that I had ever set. I also felt the exhilaration of a community supporting a local legend. Karyn Bye was the captain of the gold medal-winning USA women's hockey team. She was a native of River Falls and a great ambassador of sport and Olympism.

I was dealing with pressure of my own on a much smaller scale, but it was significant in my life. I was attempting to become the first undefeated four-time state champion in Wisconsin division one wrestling history. From Nagano, Karyn took the time to call me, wish me luck and remind me that all of River Falls is supporting me, too. Although she was far away winning an Olympic Gold Medal, she wasn't too busy to let me know that she was thinking of me and the greatness that I was striving for. It was a great perspective check for me and a defining moment in my life. I will forever understand the importance of "giving back" and the potential an act of simple kindness can have on someone, especially in the world of athletics.

That year, River Falls experienced a lot of great athletic feats. Small town heroes were made on a variety of levels and what took place behind the scenes is what I remember most. Obviously, the gold medal moments were significant and the Sports Illustrated recognition was special (Karyn was on the cover with an American flag draped over her shoulders and I was inside in Faces In the Crowd), however, those quaint moments that no one else was aware of are the best memories I have from February 1998.

You never know how special a small conversation can be. Karyn's call may have seemed insignificant at the time, but it had me glowing and motivated me to represent my community well. That mindset has yet to cease and when Karyn spoke greatness into my life, I made a commitment to attempt to speak greatness into the lives of others.

With glowing hearts, we'll embrace the Olympic Games and the greatness of high school athletics come tournament time. I'll watch with excitement as others reach their dreams, but I'll be looking with interest for the stories behind the scenes that make those dreams even more special.

No comments:

Post a Comment