Monday, November 30, 2009

Sport specialization

This particular topic resonates with me very much. As you know, I operate a wrestling school, one that caters to individuals who are passionate about training in the sport of wrestling. Specializing in wrestling would seem to help my business in many respects, but it actually doesn't and I don't support athletes specializing in one sport until they compete at the collegiate level.

Sport specialization is a catchy, professional-sounding phrase for those who choose to participate and compete in only sport. They "specialize" in training for thier sport of choice because they believe their undivided focus to it will help them improve at exponential rates. They're wrong. As children develop kinesthetic awareness, it's more advantageous for them to be involved in many different activities and sports.

When I was a young child, I participated in wrestling, soccer, baseball, football, golf and gymnastics. Every sport helped me understand something different about my body, and, in turn, made me better at each sport. As I began to mature physically, the skills and body awareness that I had acquired in each sport became very evident. Add to that my summer love with our trampoline and an appreciation for dancing, I could do things with my body that could never have been taught in one sport.

I was a successful as a wrestler because I worked hard and possessed quality technical skills, but my ability to maneuver my body in unorthodox ways is what set me apart. This is what I learned by participating in other sports. I used those sports to make me a better athlete. Being a better athlete made me a better wrestler.

Aside from the physical tools that I developed participating in other sports, I also learned valuable emotional and mental lessons. As I started winning more on the wrestling mat, it was important for me experience trials in many different ways to develop perseverance and character. I encourage wrestlers to participate in cross country in the fall. Aside from the cardiovascular base one builds, the mental tests are unmatched in other sports. In cross country, athletes face many unpredictable forms of adversity. How one chooses to look at those situations, and inevitably overcome them, is an extremely valuable commodity to take into other sports.

Another benefit of being involved in multiple sports is the opportunity to take a "mental break." Most coaches understand the importance of letting the body recover from physical demands, but equally as important is making sure the mind has adequate rest time. The younger the athlete is, the shorter the attention span and ability to focus on tasks. This includes a sports season. It's important to cultivate the mind at its proper development stage. Young athletes need to be involved in many activities whereas older athletes can be involved is far less because they have the cognitive ability to focus for longer periods of time. I desperately needed a mental break from wrestling every March. I put so much energy and focus into my wrestling season that I didn't have the mental capacity to focus on wrestling when the season was finished. Educators understand this. Look at how public education is assembled.

At the elementary level, kids learn in a broad environment with very little specialization. Certainly, during math time, they learn math, but they do so in the same environment where they learn many other subjects. Throw in recess, physical education and other convenient mental breaks and you have grades 1-5. In middle school, students begin "specialization." As they change class periods, they move into a different learning environment. Teachers even specialize in certain subjects. Most middle schools in Wisconsin have seven or eight class periods in a school day. Moving forward to high school, most schools exercise the block scheduling system (four class periods in a school day) and students start selecting the subjects they are interested in. Obviously, in college it becomes even more specialized. Sports should follow this mold because it's based on the needs of the kids.

Individual sport specialization is dangerous because it prohibits the overall development of athletes. Children need the opportunity to develop their body, mind and soul through many different avenues. Body awareness, mental strength and perseverance are integral in every sport; I didn't even touch on social development.

Continue encouraging your sons and daughters to participate in a variety of activities and sports. The only time it's acceptable to begin the specialization process is when the basic commitment to another sport is compromised (can't make it to practice, competitions, etc.). Until then, participate in everything. Your body, mind and soul will thank you in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment