Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Little Things: Parking Spaces

When I finally got my driver's license my sophomore year in high school, I drove to school everyday with my brother. We were very ambitious and often the first car in the parking lot. On Monday, Wednesday and Friday, we even arrived before the janitor. Needless to say, we had the best parking space day after day.

After graduating from high school, one of my teachers made a comment about our work ethic and discipline stating that when he got to school early in the morning he would see our navy blue Blazer in "our parking spot." That simple statement caused me to wonder about my privileges as an individual.

Matthew 20:16 says, "so the last will be first and the first will be last." As an athlete, my paradigm doesn't jive with this sentence. If I work hard to be first, why should I be last. I can assure myself coming in last if I don't try, right? If I try my best shouldn't I be rewarded? It seems like such a contradiction, but sometimes that's how God spins it.

I don't think this verse from Matthew is supposed to be applied literally in all cases (especially athletics). Instead, it is a matter of the heart. It's a check on our priorities and test of our humility.

Taking it literally, I applied this lesson to my parking space choice in high school. Is God saying to me in that moment to not take the first place parking spot in case someone else needs it? I surely don't need it. I'm capable of walking to the door from the furthest parking space. Ability aside, should I defer from parking in the closest spot because I should recognize that I'm not entitled to it? It is something to ponder.

Now I handle my parking situation differently. I don't take the first place parking spot because I say to myself, "who am I that I should have that privilege?" Now, I look for a parking space closest to the cart corral. This decision is made out of pure convenience. I don't like pushing the shopping cart clear across the parking lot, especially with a baby in the back seat.

Something else to think about regarding parking spaces involves mall parking lots. Why do people break their necks to park as close to the door as possible so they don't have to walk far already knowing they're going to walking 2-3 miles once inside the mall?

No comments:

Post a Comment