Monday, October 19, 2009

He will rejoice over you with singing

Do you rejoice over events or people in your life with singing? I do. When I experience or feel something new, I immediately think of music lyrics. Often times, I will seek out new songs that I can identify with based on what I am feeling. For me, music has a way of expressing emotions that I sometimes can't find on my own.

As long as I can remember, I have enjoyed many styles of music. In middle school I started listening to the words of songs to understand what the artists were trying to say. I was in middle school during the heights of some amazing artists, such as MC Hammer, Sir Mix-a-lot, Vanilla Ice and the like. Needless to say, my life did not reflect what these 90's rappers were singing about, but I still listened intently. In high school I went through many stages of music, including alternative/grunge, classic rock and pop. Most of the music I listened to was usually associated with athletic endeavors.

Then, in college I started listening to Christian rock. I was certain that I was never going to enjoy Christian rock. After all, it seems as though most of the music in this genre is out dated, and it is, but the lyrics are timeless. Christian rock gave me a fresh perspective on my own life and on my personal relationship with my Savior. It also gave me an avenue to sing praises to God. In a unique way, Christian rock allowed me to view other music in a different way.

When individuals create music and write songs they reveal how they see the world. Every one's perceptions of the world is shaped through their experiences in life. This is why I am so intrigued by music and lyrics. It gives us a snapshot of what someone is feeling - joy, happiness, confusion, mistrust, anger, sadness, love, etc.

God creates his own music and rejoices over us with singing. In Zephaniah 3:17, we get a snapshot of how God views us as His followers. It says, "The Lord your god is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."

Instead of fleeing in the face of danger, God can save his people from it (Ex. 14:30). This verse remarkably adds that God himself will rejoice over you with gladness. He personally delights in those who seek and follow him. This is not an aloof, emotionless contentment, but it bursts forth in joyful divine celebration: he will rejoice over you with singing (ESV Study Bible, page 1738).

It makes me feel good to know that someone is joyfully singing over me. How much greater of a feeling is it to know that the God of the universe rejoices over me so much that he can't help but to sing? I think that's awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment