Thursday, July 14, 2011

Morning show mayhem

I listened to the KQ Morning Show when I was in high school. Tommy B and the crew could be described best as rude and crude. Now that I'm more interested in pursuing holiness, I've turned the dial to Christian radio and accidentally catch their version of a morning show every now and then.

I appreciate the attempt to provide the Christian community with a wholesome alternative to what is on other stations. I'm not into the cheesiness of most of the content, but I'm on board with the mission. After all, one man's "cheese" can be another man's treasure. So I don't mind that the hosts often times appear as if they're not on the same planet and or even in the same universe. They're called to serve God and I believe they're doing the best they know how even if it's light years behind on the "cool level." However, as a Christ follower, I have caught a few topics and jokes that strike a chord inside my soul and stir up a holy anger. This morning was one of those times.

I listened to the lady explain how she had a very difficult time ending a relationship that had been destructive. I was all ears because I'm engaged in conversations like this with many others on a regular basis. She went on to say that she had been involved in a relationship that was unhealthy because she was seeking validation and approval from the other. It became almost abusive. I was eager to hear how she handled it because I was taking mental notes for the next encounter with one specific athlete of mine. Then, her punch line was that she broke-up with her scale this morning. The other dude laughed and people called the station and chimed in with their input. All of it was less than appropriate and gave me the feeling that they were actually poking fun at two strongholds that bind many individuals I work with. They belittled the legitimate struggle of body image and how weight control can tie into it. Also, they take a shot at those who are stuck in destructive relationships that they need to get out of immediately.

"I have a strong addiction that I cannot overcome on my own and I need God's power to help me...I'm addicted to chocolate."

"I need God's help to end a toxic relationship...with my scale."

Statements like these can most aptly be described as heartless. They don't take into account the fact that there are individuals whose struggles are severe and deadly. Of course, the scale can be a deadly relationship and I've seen enough Dr. Phil episodes to know that addictions to food can also be deadly, but come on radio show host, don't make fun of them. Her demeanor and tone plainly demonstrated that these weren't life and death situations for her. Truly heartless.

Why is it that Christians can come across as the most uncaring, unsympathetic, unloving and heartless people on the planet? As a people, do we just not get it? Are we that far away from reality that we can't be real and understand real people and real struggles? If I'm making my assessment based on radio, maybe we are. This lady clearly isn't talking about real struggles. The sad and unfortunate part of it all is sometimes this is the only glimpse that people get of Jesus. They see and hear people who aren't real and don't understand what real people face moment by moment. In my opinion, this isn't good at all. My Jesus doesn't belittle struggles and isn't afraid to talk about issues that seem too far out of bounds for safe Christian circles.

Let's stop the phony baloney Christian jokes as if we don't understand the world. We are the salt of the earth! People should see our lives (or listen to our radio stations) and see that God is good! Christian radio should bring non-Christians to a place of praise for our Father in Heaven. I think that was sorely missed this morning.


"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." - Matthew 5:13-16

No comments:

Post a Comment