Monday, May 3, 2010

You never know who's watching...

Some of the best advice I ever received from my dad was "you never know who's watching..."

This simple sentence can mean so much in many different ways. It can hold one accountable to high standards of excellence and it has the power to enslave an individual with legalism. Regardless of how you interpret this simple phrase, it's important to remember.

As a student teacher, my cooperating teacher told me to always do my best and be my best as a teacher because everything is a job interview. He said, one never knows who's going to be on the committee that may or may not choose to hire you. It's a scary thought, but oh, so true.

I've taken advantage of opportunities to network within the wrestling community and I have accumulated many contacts as a result. I've been sought out by many because of my past accomplishments as a local athlete, but I've built bridges elsewhere with more prominent figures than myself to become further educated and to stay sharp. This has helped many doors open for athletes that I'm associated with and, unfortunately, it's closed some doors for others when I've been asked to speak on the character or work ethic of an individual. It's interesting...you never know who's watching...

I've been around many athletes and coaches in a variety of rolls and as a perceptive individual, I'm always surveying what is taking place around me. I take special notice of athletes who are exceptional and I make it a point to tell others about the championships qualities I see in others. On the contrary, I also make special note of those who are much less exceptional under certain circumstances.

Recently, an important NCAA coach called me to discuss the character of an athlete who was interested in attending his institution and being a part of his wrestling program. This coach was seeking an honest evaluation from someone who had seen many sides of this prospective student-athlete. I recalled an experience occurring five years ago that involved this individual. I had told a group of unruly athletes that someday I might be called on as a character reference for them and that I would speak honestly to those in question. A few of the athletes "learned their lesson" while others didn't. Unfortunately, the athlete in question in this particular instance hadn't demonstrated to me at any time that he had learned his lesson. I clearly explained myself to this coach and he said that he was going to pass on the athlete. It was difficult for me to play a role in this kid's future, but it was the right thing to do. Everything is a job interview and you never know who's watching...

I'm also privileged to speak on the character of many great individuals. Jake Filkins, for example, was one of my favorite athletes at Victory School of Wrestling (I'd like to still claim him). He never won a high school state title, but I saw something inside him that inspired me to contact a few college coaches. In a conversation about Jake, I remember telling Joe Russell from the University of Minnesota that he would make the program better just by being on the team. I have vivid memories of Jake pushing himself beyond his physical and emotional capacity (The Gauntlet, grind matches, etc.), but I was most impressed by how cordial and polite he was when my wife was at Victory. He also went out of his way to help and demonstrated admirable leadership qualities by humbly serving others. His simple acts of kindness made it easy for me to tell coach Russell that he needed Jake. One can never have enough "good guys" in their program. Everything is a job interview and you never know who's watching...

I offer a clean slate to every athlete that walks through the doors at Victory or that I brush by at the many events that I attend. It's up to them what portrait they want to paint of themselves. However, I'm watching and looking for those teachable moments and evaluating their character. I believe I'm quick to offer grace (thanks to Jesus in my life) and strive to help individuals turn tragedy into triumph...and I'm always watching...

Everything is a job interview and you never know who's watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment