Thursday, April 22, 2010

US Open - Cleveland, OH - Thursday, April 22nd

I'm in my hotel room and I'm only a parking lot away from the arena that the tournament is being held in. I just returned from the venue after picking up weigh-in cards and credentials for the NYAC women. I also needed to get my coaches pass (from Tony). Traditionally, a group will go to a nearby pasta restaurant (Olive Garden is always popular) as the athletes start the re-hydration process after weigh-ins. Noel Thompson, the NYAC Chairperson for Wrestling, called a NYAC dinner meeting at 6:30, so I have a few hours to relax and get caught up on NFL Draft buzz.

Although not a part of the NYAC any longer, I did invite both Alaina and Deanna to join us at dinner. Both former athletes of mine, Alaina was resently named the head women's wrestling coach at the Cumberlands and today marks one year that Deanna lost her brother. A lot has changed since they were my pupils. After the "team" meal, I plan on returning to the hotel and watching the NFL Draft.

The best part of the day came courtesy of Ryan Shapert, a former D1 All-American from Edinboro. He started the day by "cutting weight" on the arena floor in stone washed jeans and steal-toe boots. It was later found that he was NOT registered for the event. Really? We had no idea. So he took his guitar and went outside and preached the Gospel. It was quite entertaining, but also somewhat sad. This was a man who had completely "lost it." He claimed that he had just come from the woods and didn't have Internet access to preregister. He put up a scene for almost an hour that included a lot of security, fire-and-brimstone preaching, police officers and Mitch Hull. Mitch granted the man his wish and entered him into the tournament.

With an abundance of former NCAA and USA national champions, there's no doubt Mr. Shapert is going to steal the show tomorrow. I think people were first intrigued by the homeless-looking man shrieking at security, but we know his story and it's sad. I think you had to be here to understand...

1 comment:

  1. An interesting story. He is both lost and frustrated at the same time. I understand and connect with his trials from time to time. He has been going against the grain his entire life. Doesn't like being told what he can and cannot do even if it will put him in jai to make a point. And is disgusted with capitalism and greed and it seem's that he wish life were simpler. Thanks for the story.
    Ben Shapert

    ReplyDelete