Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Target Field Inaugural Game Was A Memorable One

April 12th, 2010 was a historic day for Twins fans all over the world. It marked the Inaugural Home Opening Day at the new Target Field. During the 50th year of the Twins franchise, the team has returned to play home games the way they're intended - outside. It couldn't have happened on a more beautiful day as the rain subsided and players and fans endured a sunny 65 degree afternoon.

The game was scheduled for a 3:10 start time. The local news stations had been building the anticipation of the game by mentioning a pep rally and other outdoor activities beginning as early as noon. I knew that I had to be on the grounds for this great day in baseball history, so I left River Falls at 10:45 and headed for Minneapolis.

I had no intentions of going to the game because I had to be back in River Falls for practice, however, I knew that if I didn't go to at least be in the environment, I would later regret not being a part of the Twins Territory christening of the stadium. I drove around downtown Minneapolis, soaked in the energy and decided I would park and walk around the stadium. There are a few spots where you can actually see the grass from outside the park. I buckled and gave in to the temptation...I just had to go inside this beautiful building, so I bought a ticket from my new friend Jay. He's my new peddlar of choice for this season. He sits on the corner of 3rd Ave North and North 5th St.

I paid for my ticket and savored the moment walking towards Gate 3, scanned my ticket and walked up the stairs. All of the world's problems disappeared as the sounds around me became silent. It was a surreal moment as if I was walking into a sanctuary; and I was. Isn't that what America's game is supposed to be about? Well, Target Field definitely delivered. Here I was, inside an amazing piece of architecture focused on one thing - enjoying baseball.

I was inside the gate by 12:30 and enjoyed an hour of batting practice. The Twins players were in seventh heaven, just like me. They joyfully shagged balls in the outfield and hit home run after home run into the stands as if they knew it was their responsibility to provide everyone there with a souvenir. I didn't catch a ball, but many people around me did.

When the Twins were done hitting, I decided to take my time exploring the stadium. I checked out the shops, restaurants and bars at a leisurly pace. I bought a Big Dog with onions (similar to the Dome Dog, but much better) and the hallways started filling quickly. With over an hour and a half before the opening pitch, the stadium was nearly full. I took the chance to sit in seats all over the stadium, and I didn't find one single place that wouldn't be a wonderful place to sit and watch baseball. It was all spectacular and, again, surreal.

My ticket was Section 330, Row 16, Seat 25, but I wanted to enjoy the stadium until the last possible moment. I was checking out section 211 when I noticed commotion in sections 330 and 331 and the announcer introduced former Twins stars who were members of divisional championship teams. They were to raise the flags for their past titles. They were in my section, so I tried to hurry across to see them up close. I was too late. I passed Corey Koskie, Brad Radke, Shannon Stewart and Bert Blyleven on the stairs going to my seat. Bill Smith actually sat in the exact seat that was on my ticket as he raised the flag! How did I miss that!

Finally, after arriving at my seat, I took the chance to "drink it all in." I was in the top row and felt as if I was able to look over everything that was going on. I had enjoyed sitting in the home run porch during batting practice, walking across the plaza and enjoying the variety of food, particularly the Vincent Burger from the Hennepin Grill for only $12. However, from Section 330, Row 16, Seat 25, the feeling that I had can only be described as religious. It was all bigger than life and almost too much to comprehend.

Hundreds of individuals unraveled an enourmous American flag that covered the entire outfield and a combination of Minneapolis gospel singers belted the "Star Spangled Banner" that was capped off by a fly-by from four F-16 fighter jets. The moment moved me to tears and it was followed by almost a full minute of cheering and clapping. We were simply living in a moment that we'll never forget. It was priceless.

Before I purchased my ticket, I knew that I had to leave early. Up to this point, it had been worth every bit the price of admission. Then the game started. The first pitch, the first strike, the first hit, the ovation for Joe Mauer during his first at bat. All the firsts. I was there. I experienced it all first hand. I saw these moments live and I'll cherish those moments for the rest of my life. Baseball history was unfolding before my eyes.

I had to leave during the third inning. Although I sincerely wish I could have stayed until the end, my first experience at Target Field was absolutely perfect. I bought the shirt, got the free inaugural game Homer Hanky and brought a pennant home for Isaiah. I have much from the day that will help me relive those moments, and I will visit those memories often.

Next to my wedding and the birth of Isaiah, it was the greatest day of my life. This is what the Twins were aiming for and as far as I'm concerned, they hit a home run!

2 comments:

  1. What a great story.
    I really loved the one about Coach Davis too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome story! Glad it exceeded your expectations.

    ReplyDelete