Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Beautiful Ending

Sometimes I get caught up trying to serve others and help others reach their potential. I'm sure you can identify with me when I say that, at times, it feels as though I have no time to take of myself because I'm too busy taking care of others. As a result, I don't always make the time necessary to "sharpen my saw." By sharpening my saw, I become much more effective. For me, it's bigger than that, though.

One of my favorite bands is BarlowGirl. The trio of sisters wrote a song entitled "Beautiful Ending" that addresses this predicament, but from a spiritual perspective. The lyrics are refreshing because they pinpoint exactly what every Christ follower feels when they continuously serve others, but forget about themselves, and most of all, forget about God.

The song speaks about individuals who spend their entire lives serving others, doing "church stuff," but forget to turn to God and focus on their own spiritual journey. They ask the question: is it possible to spend an entire life serving God and miss the point?

God wants us, not our service. Now, obviously, if we pursue Him, we'll want to serve Him, however, He wants us first.

There are always going to be people who can serve and complete the tasks on hand. There will always be people going to Africa and greeting people at the door, but you're the only person who can give yourself to God and that's why that's most important (I'm not minimizing the importance of serving, don't miss the point).

So, is your first priority your relationship with God? It needs to be. For me to sharpen my own saw to become for effective for God, I need to spend time with God. I need to focus on my personal relationship with God.

"What benefit will be for you to gain the whole world but lose your soul?" (Mark 8:36)

From BarlowGirl - "Beautiful Ending"

Oh, how do I let myself let go of hands that painted the stars and holds tears that fall? And the pride of my heart makes me forget it's not me, but you, who makes the heart beat. I'm lost without you and you're dying for me. So, tell me, what is our ending? Will it be beautiful, so beautiful? Will my life, find me by your side? Your love is beautiful, so beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment