Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Japan Tour 2018 - Blog #7

Thursday, March 29, 2018

This is our final day at Shigakkan University.  To say this has been an incredible experience would be a huge understatement.  Practice is a couple hours later this morning, so I’m taking some time to walk, reflect and process our trip.

I regularly encourage our athletes to make space in their schedule for thoughtful reflection time.  Most of my [female] athletes have become accustomed to “journaling.”  I often give them topics to help direct their minds to being productive during this time.  Really, in the end, journaling is basically spending time with yourself getting to know who you are.  Just like a relationship with another person, you have to spend time asking them questions and listening to answers if you want to know them, right?  The same is true with getting to know yourself.  Asking questions like: Who am I?  Why am I here?  What is my purpose?  How have I grown through this experience?  These are all great starting points for our girls.  Finding the answers to these types of questions can be very difficult and is a lifelong journey.  These reflection times or “quiet times” are also an important place for us to connect with God on a personal level.  As Christ followers, the best journal time includes scripture (God’s written word) as we also communicate with Him.

I guess, in a sense, blogging is an extension of the journaling/reflecting process for me.  I try to share thoughts and insights that I’m working through.  Once in a while it can give good examples to our athletes on how to think beyond the surface level and dig deep for answers to those difficult questions while keeping the big picture in perspective.



No comments:

Post a Comment