Saturday, May 26, 2012

Reflecting

It's been far too long since I've logged onto this blog page and threw down my ideas. I've missed it. Writing has always been an outlet for me. I have a lot of things going on inside of my head and getting them out helps me keep my thoughts organized and reflect.

Yesterday I gave a presentation at River Falls Meyer Middle School. It was a part of the Everest Project, a character development program and lesson on setting goals. My presentation was called "The Preamble to Greatness." Humility turned into honor, unleashing our potential and staying on the right "path" is the summary of the 70 minute conversation. From my perspective, it was quite successful.

I went through my Power Point three times, once with each grade (6th, 7th and 8th) and allowed for questions at the end. A 7th grade Language Arts teacher asked me to talk about "reflecting." I told her that I'm constantly reflecting, analyzing and evaluating everything I do. Actually, as I reflect, I often notice that I over-analyze things or evaluate myself and what I'm doing too much and miss the opportunity to live in the moment or appreciate what has unfolded.

She brought up reflecting in front of her students because she was having difficulty getting some of the boys to take part in the activity when she allowed time in class and encouraged them to do so. As a male, I can identify. What we hear when someone asks us to sit down and reflect is that we have to share our feelings. Boys, especially teenagers, get a little squirmy when they have to tell others what is going on inside. Naturally, they can express themselves with various physical outlets, but frankly, they're scared to talk (or write) about their feelings. That's not a valid reason for them to excuse themselves from the reflective process.

The blogosphere has provided an outlet for many people and it's a fantastic option for boys who might be afraid to share their feelings. It's great because it leaves a mark and impacts others. What this 7th grade teacher inspired me to do is help the athletes at Victory begin to blog. I've been actively encouraging them journal for years (journaling is the masculine way to keep a diary). I've provided numerous materials that facilitate the reflective process. Sometimes, it's like pulling teeth, though.

Tomorrow I will begin a new project with our most committed athletes. I have no idea what to expect, but like most of my ideas, of course I'm optimistic about the potential. I know what being transparent, reflecting and sharing my thoughts has done for me as a man and I'm confident it will do the same for a handful of our athletes.

I'll keep you updated!

1 comment:

  1. Kevin,

    I like where you're going with this. As a teacher, journaling and reflection are a hugh part of my assessment of learning. I find it so much more valuable than an impersonal test. It takes time, patience and some teeth pulling to get young people, especially boys, to talk and write about their thoughts, feelings and attitudes, but if you can make it a routine and have them trust you and the group it can be really powerful stuff. I applaud your efforts and look forward to hearing how it goes.

    ReplyDelete