Saturday, December 31, 2011

Remembering 2011

Soon we'll be watching the ball drop in Times Square and 2011 will be no more. At this stage of life, 365 days goes by quickly and I wouldn't be doing the last day of the year justice if I didn't take time to reflect on what has transpired over the past 12 months.

It goes without saying, but I'm going to say it anyways, I'm very blessed and fortunate to be in the position I am as a father, husband, brother, son, friend, business owner, coach, etc. So many wonderful things have happened this year. I've celebrated life more this year than ever before. There have been birthdays, births (11/11/11 - 11:11) and rebirths (1 Cor 5:17) all around.

I've experienced minor new things that have become a big part of my life, too, namely Apple, as in the iPad and iPhone. Yep, they're everything they're cracked up to be, even if the iPad is used mostly to watch "Gummi Bear Song." Netflix: another great thing. DVR - we've had it for six years, but just recently joined the crowd to record series. Why did I wait so long? Mini-Vans...recliners...nap time..free time...holy crap! I'm old!

Life has definitely been moving in fast forward all around me. I've done my best to take it all in and appreciate what is right in front of me. I remember I used to look forward to the next adventure or the next big thing, but now it seems like I'm frantically searching for the "pause" button as life happens. Unfortunately, we can't DVR the daily routine and re-live it or re-watch it whenever we want.

Of course, there are great things to look forward to in 2012, however, I don't want to get ahead of myself and miss out on the good stuff happening today. Heck, the boys are asleep right now and when they wake up in a few minutes, I'm sure I'll have yet another life changing experience. I love that. Why fast forward to tomorrow when I can submerse myself in today? I guess that's why I spent the afternoon at my sister's house and will be enjoying a movie and Whirly Pop tonight with Liz.

December 31, 2011 is what 2011 was all about for me (minus all of the politics, of course) - quality family time. Remembering 2011 is easy. All I have to do is look at my living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment