Saturday, May 14, 2011

Focusing on the process

I've written and spoke on the idea of focusing on the process rather than the outcome a number of times. As a coach, I'm much more interested in how someone gets to the destination, not just simply if they get there (reach their goals, etc.). The end doesn't always justify the means.

Last year, I coached five athletes at the Body Bar Championships in Kissimmee, Florida and saw wonderful results on the mat. People were excited about the titles won by these girls, but I was worried about the path they were on. This weekend (exactly one year later), the process leading up to the tournament is significantly different.

Your path determines your destination, not your hopes, dreams, goals or talent. A few of the athletes stayed on the same path and they are not experiencing the same success as they were last year (as I predicted). However, two of the athletes have grown and matured as athletes and women and are set-up for much greater success than last season.

As a coach, I'm always evaluating the process. Seeing athletes grow is the fuel that keeps me going. Understanding the process is the single most important ingredient to becoming a successful athlete. I'm already more satisfied with the two athletes competing this weekend and we haven't even been to weigh-ins yet. They are taking care of the "little things" within the process, and that's what matters most right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment