Thursday, December 30, 2010

Year in review: that's what faith can do

The end of the year is a great time to look back at the progress you've made and the direction you're heading. I think this is a very useful exercise and and important evaluation strategy. Try it, you'll be surprised how much you accomplished this year.

My mission is about empowering and impacting a generation to change the world by being who they were created to be. I get to use wrestling as a tool to build into others. This year, I saw my areas of influence and territory increased. I believe this happened because of my faith in God. It's his faithfulness that makes Him worthy to be praised and he proved to be faithful once again. I'm being put in a position to lead emerging leaders to become better.

Here's a quick list, in no particular order, of my production from 2010 (these are finished products that can be measured and "delivered." The list doesn't include projects that are in the making):

* 12 high school state champions - We are far more interested in gaining character than we are in earning titles at Victory School of Wrestling. However, winning gives us influence. Last year, we saw 12 Victory athletes win high school state titles. This gives credibility to our mission. Winning gives us a license to do what we believe is best for the individual. We're changing lives. Each year, my goal is to see more state champions than the previous year. That is going to be a tall order for 2011.

* River Falls Baccalaureate Program - Giving a final challenge to the seniors at RFHS is what was asked of me, but I wanted to deposit something in them so they'd never be the same. God definitely used me that evening. I regularly have parents, students, teachers, etc. around town approach me about my speech. It opened a few new doors with businesses in town as well as with students (Fellowship of Christian Athletes).

* EMPOWERED - Our summer camps were extraordinarily successful in 2010. Our numbers weren't necessarily the highest they've ever been, but our impact was far greater than in the past. In 2010, I made it a point to be bold about my faith and we saw a number of athletes "cross the line of faith" and begin living the life they were created to live. The whole summer was out of this world and bigger than I had imagined. Our quote was, created for a purpose, guided by a passion, EMPOWERED by the Spirit of God.

* Lend Me Your Imagination - This blog has served many roles in my life. It's been an outlet for my ever-growing thoughts and ideas about faith, hope, love, sport and other things. It's been an avenue of transparency and a way to reach out to my family, athletes (and their parents), and many others in a rich and vibrant way. It's been successful in creating new dialogue and causing people to think on a different level. Plus, it's fun.

* Facebook - When used in the right way, social networking allows individuals to have access and connections that weren't possible 10 years ago. As a result, the collective work of minds can accomplish much more than one individual can. Facebook has been an interesting way for me to reach my athletes on their level and, in turn, has had a huge impact on me. I first joined Facebook for selfish reasons (to catch up with old friends, keep tabs on my athletes, see what others look like compared to 10 years ago and the list goes on), but I quickly realized that joining Facebook was advantageous for Victory and the many individuals that I can have a daily impact on. Status updates are a great way to inspire and motivates others. When I logged in to my profile a few years ago, I never imagined that I could share my faith as openly as I can and I never thought it would change lives like it has. This year I developed an interesting Facebook reputation that I'm now focused on maintaining.

* Black Bros 2.0 - The arrival of my second son, Micaiah, brought my life to a whole new dimension. We're created in God's image and our God is a creator and a cultivator. He is pleased when we're creating and cultivating here on earth. Raising a family has been an amazing experience and I'm told it keeps getting better. I just hope I can convince Liz to have more babies with me :) I love my family and my prayer for 2011 is, To lead them with strong hands, to stand up when they can't. Don't want to leave them hungry for love chasing things that I could give up. I'll show them I'm willing to fight and give them the best of my life so we can call this our home. Lord, lead me, cause I can't do this alone.

* Humility - Character traits don't fit into my category of measurable. However, I do feel that it's important to mention that I've put on "humility" this year in a way I never understood. The top 5 on my priority list doesn't change very often aside from a new family member or when I got married. This year, though, I decided to put a character trait - humility - number two on my list. It has changed my life, my marriage and my relationships. God has blessed me and my family over and over because of this simple act of submission to my number one priority: God. As it stands today, the top five are: 1. God, 2. Humility, 3. Liz, 4. Isaiah and Micaiah, 5. Family (Blacks and Reussers).

Take some time to reflect on all you've done this year. It's important to maintain progress and reflecting tells you if you are. After 2010, I'm certain 2011 is going to exceed my expectations. It's going to be exciting and I'm looking forward to being in the middle of a MOVE OF GOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment