Monday, October 25, 2010

Brett Favre's legacy...preserved

I'm pretty sure this blog has started to take on its own personality and my Monday morning quarterback thoughts don't fit into what it's become. I know I'm not a sports journalist, but I want to write about something that I've had an excess of opinions about over the past three years: Brett Favre's legacy.

When he was "forced" out of Green Bay, I was very disappointed that Ted Thompson didn't let Favre end his career on his own terms. When he was in New York, I cheered for him, but when he went to Minnesota, I lost my mind. Until last night, I've been angry with him for many reasons that I believe are legitimate as a man and as a Packers fan. Most of those reasons dealt with him ruining his legacy and spoiling my memories of him during his glory years in Green Bay. After last night, that all changed and his legacy is, in fact, preserved.

Last season, I was literally sick for two days leading up to his return to Lambeau and was upset that he had so much success in a Vikings uniform. It was surreal and stung, and I know I wasn't alone in my feelings as a Wisconsin resident. The part that bothered me most was the sudden love for Brett Favre all over Minnesota and their pride and ownership of the old gunslinger. It didn't seem right. It was like they were showing off a toy they stole from their neighbor and everyone knews it didn't belong to them. My thoughts leading into this season weren't as severe, but I was still bitter with Favre, until last night.

I think one of the reasons Packers Nation loved Brett Favre so much was because of his transparency. He was a real human being with an extraordinary capacity to throw a football. He had a lot of magical moments on the football field that elevated him to a place above humanity, but he also made many poor choices that brought him back to reality. He started his career as a renegade before getting serious and taking over for the Packers. He struggled with drug addiction and other things that he openly talked about. We didn't condone his actions, but could identify with his struggles. He then went through a series of tragic events in his personal life that he shared with the Packers fans (the death of his father and brother-in-law as well as his wife's battle with cancer). He dealt with a lot of these problems through football and through the Green Bay Packers. We were there for him and felt his pain.

Last night was all too familiar. It seems like poetic justice. He goes across the river to an organization that pales in comparison to the Packers on many levels. Obviously, the history, the championships, the ownership, the fans, I could go on and on. He took the helm of a good team and much was expected of him, rightfully so, but I never understood what bothered me so much until now. It was the fact that the Vikings and their fans hadn't been through life with Brett Favre. They hadn't been through the ups and downs with him and hadn't learned how to deal with the bad in order to enjoy the good. They were spoiled by his great season last year, but didn't know how to handle the setbacks because they didn't appreciate Brett Favre for who he is - human. I don't think the Vikings deserve him and last night was the best evidence I have for this idea.

After a poor performance that ended in a loss, the Vikings coach threw Favre under the bus and the fans are calling for Tarvarias Jackson to take over. We're now seeing a man broken physically, mentally and emotionally after a series of poor choices on and off the field. What's ironic is that it all came to a breaking point last night...in Lambeau Field...in front of those who know who Brett really is - human.

His transparency will be part of his legacy. This is how I'll remember Brett Favre as a Green Bay Packer and this is how his career is going to end. The best part of it, the Packers fans are the only ones who truly understand Brett and it all ended for him at home in Green Bay. Packers fans are the only ones who can truly appreciate him for what he is. Other organizations have no choice but to give up on him and throw him under the bus because they don't know who he is. He's human and even though I don't condone the bad decisions he's made, he's endeared himself to me once again as a broken man. That, I can identify with. I've always loved Brett Favre for his transparency.

I write all of this with his future uncertain. His consecutive games streak will likely end this weekend. His first start was in Green Bay and his last start is going to be in Green Bay. 19+ years of heroism and magic alongside real life and brokenness. His pain threshold is out of this world, but it appears as though he is just like me - human. I like that.

Brett Favre's legacy is preserved, but I'm pretty sure you need to be a Packers fan to understand it.

No comments:

Post a Comment