Thursday, July 8, 2010

Participation Mindset

I've been following a very interesting and thought-provoking thread on the Wisconsin Wrestling Online forum. I read most of the drivel that is posted, but felt compelled to engage in this particular conversation entitled "coaching ideas."

Often times, I open links on the forum hoping to be enlightened and inspired, but often close them disappointed for a variety of reasons. Needless to say, I don't find much joy in Internet discussions, however, I feel that it is imperative to hear the "voices" of the wrestling nation no matter who these anonymous avatars are if I desire to have an impact on this culture.

I'm encouraged by this new thread because I believe it has the potential to open important dialogue that is crucial to our sport. If you haven't noticed, youth sports are hurting and I think wrestling is hurting more than others. Youth sports aren't hurting for participation as many claim, though. Kids are participating in sports, especially wrestling. Youth wrestling tournaments are as big as ever and there are more than ever. The number of USA Wrestling members (the most accessible measuring tool for participation) has increased for the fifth consecutive year nationwide and in Wisconsin. Participation is not a problem, but it is THE problem.

If I can be frank, I'm sick and tired of the "participation mindset." The idea that everyone needs to participate in everything all of the time is going to pull the rug out from underneath us and we're all going to fall flat on our faces. If I were going to summarize youth wrestling in one word, I'd use consumer. Athletes, parents and even coaches spend entire seasons consuming everything they can. This is the norm in our society, but as a kid, I was led to believe that wrestling was different. We're blue collar, hard working individuals who remember traditional values and how to treat one another. Not any more. I used to hear military officers and other prominent leaders say they want wrestlers by their side because they can stand alone and do the hard work. Not any more. The wrestling culture has become "takers" like everyone else because we're stuck in a participation mindset.

I whole heartily believe that every young child should be able to participate in sports and I encourage parents to be involved. However, not every kid has the "right" to compete in a variety of world championships before they turn 10 years of and not every parent has the tools to be a coach. Participation is great, but participating in everything has corrupted our sport.

Wrestlers need to be contributors, not consumers. I have a question for you, and it may be convicting: the last time you went to a wrestling event/practice, were you thinking about anyone else besides yourself? Did you go there seeing what you could get out of it or how you could contribute to something bigger than yourself? Was practice only about you or did you consider that your efforts might be key to helping someone else succeed? Were you upset with the quality of officials at the last tournament and still never offered a helping hand? Was the event too long for you? Too warm? Too cold? No event t-shirt? Not enough matches? Not enough one-on-one time? Was it all about you?

The participation mindset has grown to a point now that wrestling people feel a sense of entitlement. They believe everything needs to revolve around them as an individual. Wrestling, of all sports, needs to reverse this mindset more than ever or we will die by the wayside of unrealistic expectations with no one to run a tournament and unqualified coaches leading our spoiled kids. That's the path that we're on right now. Are you part of the problem or part of the solution?

I'm appalled by how few athletes and parents stay to help roll up mats. It saddens me to see individuals leave a youth wrestling club because it didn't offer everything they wanted. I get sick by the number of tournaments that lure children into their venue with big trophies using world or national championships in their gaudy names so they can make an extra buck so they can buy personalized duffle bags for their high school team. Seriously, we have thrown out the importance of kind, selfless service for a customized embroidered duffle bag. That's entitlement and it's going to kill our sport.

The damage done by school boards, budget cuts, Title IX, etc. is not even close to the damage caused by wrestling people to our sport. It's time to step up and make the necessary changes to succeed. By succeeding, I mean creating a culture of character-rich individuals. 10 year old kids should never wrestle more than a high school athletes (competitions and practices). Trophies should never be the reason someone competes. Adults should act like adults and kids should act like kids. Volunteers should be abundant, not scarce. Authorities should be able to say "no" and others (especially parents) should understand what "no" means.

If you continued reading to this point, my guess is that you might be on the same page as me here and I hope you have the depth in your heart to be able to say, "how can I help" the next time you come in contact with the sport of wrestling. Not only do I hope you ask, but that you're actually willing to help and not just saying the words to appear generous. In wrestling, selflessness leads to much more success than selfishness.

2 comments:

  1. Great work Kevin. Keep writing!

    Ferg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! I just stumbled on this blog as I'm on the East Coast but you nailed it with this one. I've been thinking the same thing for a while. The world judges results, but the Lord judges our effort and intent.

    My 6 yr old completed his first year and after the end of season league tourney a parent asked if he was gonna keep working out for the youth states, MAWA's etc. and I said, "No" The parent asked why and I said "Because he's 6 and when your 6 spring means baseball season" I then said this season was for him to learn and experience the sport, not be a champion. He needs to complete at least 3 "regular" seasons and show me a sincere interest that this is what he wants to do before he is allowed to compete. We'll help out at the qualifiers with set up, work tables or concessions, but he will not be competing.

    My goal for him is to love the sport as much as I do when he is my age. I'll know if/when he's ready to take the next step.

    ReplyDelete