Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Musing lazily on college football...Roll Tide

Pardon me as I take a break from writing about serious matters and venture into my satirical mindset and ponder on one of fall/winter loves - football. As I was driving around town yesterday, I began musing lazily on college football. I thought about players bigger than life like Nebraska's Ndamakung Suh, among others. He just might win the Heisman Trophy this weekend. However, what my mind couldn't understand was who to cheer for in the BCS Championship game on January 7th.

My logic might be flawed, but I'm planning on cheering for Alabama. Shouldn't I be cheering for Texas, though? Afterall, Colt McCoy, the quarterback for Texas, is a genuine Christ-follower. His face has been on the front page of the Athletes in Action webpage for months shares his personal testimony online. I'm the AIA representative on the campus at UW-River Falls, so I owe my alegiance to Texas, right? I should be chanting "Hook 'Em" the rest of December, but I can't stop thinking "Roll Tide."

To make matters worse, 'Bama destroyed Florida in the SEC Championship game to take over the nation's top ranking. In doing so, they crushed Tim Tebow's platform to share his faith in Christ on national television. Seriously, Tebow has been the face of Christianity in college sports for four years. Not only did he win a Heisman and a national title, he also helped circumcize orphans in Africa...and he brought his coach with him! This guy's a saint and the Crimson Tide hammered him. Isn't that sacreligious?

If we break it down, what do we even know about Greg McElroy (for those who didn't know, he's the quarterback for Alabama)? Are there prominent Christians on the Alabama team roster? They are in the Bible Belt, but is Mark Ingram wearing a cross? Does Terrance Cody listen to Lecrae during his pregame rituals? Is Rolando McClain leading a football team Bible study in the locker room? Certainly, Javier Arenas must be washed in the blood of the Lamb, I mean, that guy's awesome and has a sweet name. What about Nick Saban? Nick Saban! Didn't he leave his team in the Bayou at a time when they needed him most? Just think how close "Saban" is to "Satan." Hmmm?

Aren't these important things to consider as a Christian? I always feel obligated to cheer for my brothers-in-Christ no matter what, but why is that? I'm happy that we get to meet each other in heaven, but shouldn't I be cheering for the "lost" while I can. I can cheer for Colt McCoy or Tim Tebow for an eternity in heaven. That's not why I'm picking Saban's team, though.

I want to see Alabama win a national title because they represent so much of what we love about college football. My boy Rod-the-Bod in Birmingham has no professional football team to cheer for. It's 'Bama or that other team down the street (say it quietly, Auburn). They have a very rich tradition - Bear Bryant's hats, George Teague's interception, Forrest Gump, etc. - and the greatest Green Bay Packers player of all-time is an alumni of Alabama (Bart Starr).

So, here it is: Roll Tide!

I must openly confess to BamaNation that I did cheer for Texas in the 2006 BCS Championship Game against USC. Please, let me explain: Liz and I made a bet on the game and SHE picked USC because I always led ladies go first. As a consolation, I had the Horns. The winner of the bet was rewarded with an one-hour massage. I was thankful for Vince Young. But I swear, even though I wear a LiveStrong bracelet at times, I'm not a Texas fan. I promise. So, if I run for President of the United States in 2028, I better win Alabama (and Texas).

1 comment: